Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mystery of the Missing Apple

Apple Street, Mid-City L.A.
Luckily, we live close enough to the Santa Monica Freeway so that it's easy for me to take it to and from work--Mid-City to Santa Monica--every day.  Of course, when there's heavy traffic, I take an alternate route.  I usually approach the Westbound Santa Monica Freeway from Washington Boulevard.  There's this little access street that takes you right to the on-ramp.  This street is called Apple Street.
About a month ago, I noticed that the name of the street had changed names to Electric Drive.  I thought it may have something to do with the new Expo Rail Line...you know, the former Pacific-Electric Railway?  However, the Expo Line runs way south of the Santa Monica Freeway, near Jefferson and Exposition  Boulevards.
 Electric Drive, Mid-City L.A.
Does anyone know why the street name was changed?  If so, let me know.  
I  don't like it when the City messes with my street names!  From my USC days, I still call Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK) Boulevard, Santa Barbara Avenue.  Caesar Chavez Avenue will always be Brooklyn Avenue in Boyle Heights.  It also bugs me when shopping centers get City streets named for them.  The Grove Drive near The Grove Shopping Center and the Original Farmers Market is really an extension of North Stanley Avenue, L.A..  In West L.A., the store, Bed, Bath and Beyond has named the driveway going into their parking lot Beyond Way, when really, it's an extension of Westgate Avenue. 
In earlier L.A. days, I remember my Dad telling that before Olympic Boulevard was called Olympic, it was 10th Street east of 20th Century Fox Studios and Country Club Drive, west of the Studio.  The City cut the street through the studio, added a bridge and named it Olympic just before the 1932 Olympic Games were held here.
O.K., I guess this is progress, but it disorients me!  Harumph!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:47 PM PDT, Blogger Mia said...

They could have at least named it Electric Avenue. I know, I know, Avenue is for north-south running streets.

 
At 5:06 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

You are so right, Mia!! However, there already is an Electric Avenue in Venice....right near where the railroad tracks used to be!!

 
At 12:52 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://wellingtonsquare.net/electric-drive-replaces-portion-of-apple-stre

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery