Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Summer Flies

"Canned Peas"
Summer is OVER!  However, judging by our weather in Los Angeles, it is still summer here.   This shawl is appropriately named, "Summer Flies."  It's a free pattern on Ravelry by Donna Griffin.  I was sitting next to a lady at the El Segundo Slipt Stitchers Knitters Guild meeting a few months ago and admired her version of this pattern.  I'm not much of a lace knitter, but this pattern is really spelled out, row by row, so I thought I'd give it a try.  This shawl is a lovely little throw for mild evenings.  It can also be scrunched up and used like a scarf under a jacket.
  

Here's Donna's description of this pattern:  "My how summer flies by, but this lacy summer shawl is the perfect accessory to cover bare shoulders on a breezy summer evening.  The butterfly and lace motif are accented by a knotted openwork trellis, reminiscent of butterflies happliy fluttering through your summer garden."


I used some single strand sport weight wool that I bought a few years ago at the Taos Wool Festival  made by Plain & Fancy Sheep & Wool Co. of Henderson Texas. and size 8 needles. Plain & Fancy calls this color "Bamboo."  I think it resembles the color of CANNED PEAS!
Recently finished "Summer Flies" in Vanna's Choice, worsted weight

Looks at those sweet little butterflies!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:18 PM PDT, Blogger Mia said...

I've been wanting to make a "Summer Flies" for ages. Yours is beautiful; love the color!

 
At 2:16 PM PDT, Anonymous Stephanie Scott said...

This turned out beautiful! I grew upon canned peas and is is reminiscent. Warm and fuzzy peas.

 
At 2:32 PM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

Very pretty! I will have to add this to my ever-increasing queue on Ravelry! :)

 
At 3:01 PM PDT, Blogger Patricia said...

Very nice, Ellen. Makes me want to consider the pattern!

 
At 3:30 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How pretty! Nice job.

 
At 1:50 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Nice work!Not sure canned peas is a happy way to describe that beautiful shawl (blech! canned peas).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery