Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fall Fashions

Barbie's "Ponytail" carrying case, Mattel 1961

I just joined this group on Ravelry called "Good Things Together."  The group description reads, "We are a great bunch of people who enjoy creating Good and Beautiful things Together, be it knitting, crochet, amigurumi, card making, sewing, photography, scrapbooking, stitchmarkers, boxes, potholders, origami, etc.  Let’s share our love for craft and make Good Things happen Together!"

Well, this week the group is having a fall fashion show for dolls, preferably Barbie, Bratz, etc.    Many of the members have even reinvented their dolls!  They've re-painted faces, changed wigs, modified bodies and more!  It's a real Frankenstein online get-together!  This sounded intriguing to me, since I've saved both of my Barbie dolls from my youth, along with her Ponytail carrying case, clothes and accessories.  My hoard is in fairly good shape too.
I whipped out my tiny crochet hook and some Koigu sock yarn, along with some #5 Perle crochet cotton and some old silk fabric and fashioned two outfits for the fall show!
Here is “Chilly Day.”  My 1961 Barbie is sporting a Koigu crocheted skirt (granite stitch), along with a cranberry long sleeve sweater (crocheted with DMC Perle Cotton #5). She has her store-bought rain boots on just in case!  

Later, Barbie decided to whip out her matching rain hood to protect her bubble hair-do from the blustery day! 

My vintage 1959 Barbie has decided to go shopping today in Chinatown for early holiday gifts. She’s wearing a full skirt sewn from the hem of a pants-leg from vintage Chinese pajamas. Her striped turtle-neck is store-bought, as are her shoes. To protect her from the chill, she decided to add her Chinese Red crocheted shawl made from DMC Perle Cotton #5. Barbie’s shawl has a pearl closure to match her original pearl earrings. Her red satchel is store-bought and should be able to hold all of the great gift items she purchases in Chinatown today!


After a busy day, both Barbies met back at home to check out their closet and what they might wear tomorrow for more adventures.


Okay, I think I'm done playing with dolls for awhile.  Time to get back to adult yarny items!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:51 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh I looooove this!! Barbie is SO chic. I want a Chinatown outfit for my size too; skirt, shawl and purse included!

 
At 4:01 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Sarah! There's something about vintage Barbie dolls that are much cooler and hipper looking than the newer models! I think it's the eyes. My Barbies have half-closed, superior looking eyes vs. those wide-eyed bimbos today!

 
At 4:27 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

Okay -- those outfits are pretty darn cute. I have also saved my Barbie doll -- it's probably the only toy I saved from childhood. Mine looks like yours, but my case has a different design.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery