Friday, April 19, 2013

Vintage Photo Friday

Herald-Examiner, 1951
"Beautiful Mary Lou Miner suns herself atop a new West L.A. bomb shelter"


I've posted these photos previously on "L.A. Is My Beat."  I hate to think that we may have to be this careful again in America, but recent events are indicating this sort of behavior.  Sigh.

November, 1961. Defense Coordinator, Clifford R. Standing
shows preparedness necessities to Mrs. Harris and Mrs. Millard
in the San Fernando Valley

Have a safe weekend!
photos from LA Public Library archives

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:08 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree life is changing. I know we all have to be ready for anything that comes our way.

 
At 12:23 PM PDT, Blogger count reeshard said...

Your post is indeed timely, Ellen, though not simply by the dictates of news copy. Last night I watched the film Matinee again - you'd probably have to engage higher math to approximate how many times I've seen this, John Goodman's best role ever – and took note of the bomb shelter that figures into a plot set amidst the Cuban missile crisis.

 
At 12:25 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the comments, Vickie and Richard. Yes, I suppose we've always got to be aware of what is going on around us! Sigh.

 
At 3:15 PM PDT, Blogger Joan said...

This may be my son's front yard. He has a bomb shelter in WLA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery