Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Vintage Yarny Patterns

1953.  Something yarny for the man in your life?

I have quite a large collection of vintage knit and crochet instruction booklets.  Whenever I visit a thrift shop or antique store I pick up what appeals to me.  I like to leaf through them every once in awhile just to refresh my memory.  There really hasn't been anything new in yarny pattern design since 1925.  Only the colors and photo styling changes.  I have seen many patterns of the 1960s and 1970s rewritten and adapted for modern times.  Think about it, knit and crochet stitch combinations never change.  Many of these old patterns can still be used.  Here are a few:

Late 1950's.  Links to these patterns can be found here.
I LOVE the books from the 1960s.  This is actually when I began to collect patterns.  My Mother and most of my Aunts were knitters.  I inherited their archives. There was a huge craft revival in the 60s.  The yarn colors and photo styling are great....very much in fashion today!

Dig that cool '63 Plymouth!

I'd wear this entire outfit, as is!  Spinnerin, 1963
Not so sure about this winged number.  That's a whole lot of stockinette! Spinnerin, 1963.

Someone took the time to catalog and scan thousands of vintage knit and crochet patterns.  Free Vintage Knitting is a wonderful site, full of fabulous knit fashions from the 1940s through the 1960s.  Free Vintage Crochet is also chock full of historical patterns.  Have a ball!  Make something retro-cool!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:53 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

I love my vintage patterns, especially the stole book! Thanks, Ellen!

 
At 9:53 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

I love my vintage patterns, especially the stole book! Thanks, Ellen!

 
At 6:32 PM PDT, Blogger ES said...

You're right, the colours might change but the old patterns are still fab :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery