Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summer Hats

Ready to Battle The Sun

There was a time in my life when I worshipped the sun!  When I was a pre-teen and teen, everyday during the summer we'd take the bus or catch a ride to Santa Monica Beach, slather ourselves in baby oil (the better to fry our skin) and soak up the rays.  I was born with an olive complexion, so I usually tan quickly.  After a summer visit with my Grandma Freda she warned me about the sun and the damage it could do. Grandma had a beautiful, smooth complexion.  She was always buying miracle skin creams and potions. I didn't heed Grandma's advice until I was in my mid-30's.  By then I just didn't have the time to while away the hours at the beach baking myself. 
I should have listened to Grandma's advice when I was 16!  Luckily, I don't have too many wrinkles, just the obvious laugh lines and smile creases (along with drooping eyelids and a double chin)!
During the past 10 years I've become extremely sun-sensitive!  What?  For a SoCal beach baby, this is intolerable!  I get a sun rash if I'm exposed to the rays.  Now, I find myself wearing long sleeves, high neck shirts and socks during the summer.  The less skin showing, the better.  I have a number of hats to shade my face.  My personal favorite is my crown-less, brim hat (above).  I used to have about 10 of these in all different colors.  Over the years they have worn out, except for the orange one (with duct tape and staples holding it together) and my stylish black straw brim.
I was perusing Ravelry patterns the other day for brimmed hats.  I noticed a few good knit and crochet patterns.
Summer Hat
Floppy Brimmed Hat
Shine-On Sun Hat

The every-popular beer can hat has always been a favorite.  I wrote an entire post  8 years ago about how these hats have become fashionable again!  Here's a great pattern.  You don't have to use beer cans for your hat.  You can cut up any ol' tin can.  Years ago I made a Fresca can hat for my friend, Faith.

Faith's Fresca Can Hat

Yesssss!  I'm seeing a tin can hat made with Japanese Green Tea cans with a wide brim for mein kepelah this summer!


Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM PDT, Blogger Lenora said...

Oh, yes. Make a Green Tea hat to wear to High Tea. You'll be the envy of all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery