Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Classic Dining Weekend

I love classic Los Angeles restaurants.  I like quiet, carpeted spaces with big comfy leather booths.  I like wait-staff to be efficient, silent and courteous.  I like easy valet or self-parking.  I like simple, well-prepared food.  I experienced all of these qualities in the restaurants I visited this weekend. This was my final, belated birthday extravaganza with my yarny friends.  OK, so it was 2-1/2 weeks after my actual birthday.  We're busy people with hectic schedules!
Divine Martini
Steak, Sand Dabs, Pasta

Veal and Zucchini Piccata

Pork Chop, Seafood Pasta

On Friday I met the KnitGrrlz at The Dresden Room in Los Feliz.  This place has been unchanged and in business since 1954.  The interior is very elegant with white leather booths, lots of interesting wood partitions, fancy light fixtures and a super popular lounge.  We started out with divine cocktails.  Each of us ordered something different, from steaks to pasta to veal.  Everything was prepared beautifully and very delicious.  The super-rich chocolate birthday cake was an added bonus!
My one and only birthday cake for this year's celebration!
We didn't finish dining until 10pm.  We could hear the dulcet tones of the ever-popular lounge duo, Marty and Elayne, from the bar.  We tried to get into the lounge to see them, but it was incredibly crowded.  Yes, the "Swingers" crowd is still coming to The Dresden.   We ended up sitting in the waiting area for a bit to hear the music and talk.  I was pleasantly surprised when my preferred TV reality star, Barry Weiss, walked in!  Of course, I grabbed him and told him he was my favorite.  Works every time.
Marty & Elayne.  Photo from Red Carpet Tips Blog

Barry Weiss and Ellen

Danette, Brit, Mary Jo, Ellen and Natalie.  Photo by Darcy
Thank you Ladies for all of the gifties and the wonderful birthday celebration!
The very next day I met up with Carol, Beth and Julie for yet another yarny celebration at the classic Tom Bergin's Tavern on Fairfax between Olympic and Wilshire.  We had brunch/lunch.  We started out with a couple of appetizers along with our drinks, deviled eggs and fried pickle chips.  I had the corned beef hash with eggs and the rest of the girls had the bacon cheese burger.  Yum!  High carb, high calorie, but totally delish.
The English clubby design on this classic restaurant (1936) is warm and welcoming.  We sat in one of the wooden booths, right next to Cary Grant's favorite booth.


Corned Beef Hash w/Poached Eggs

Burger w/Caesar Salad

Carol and Beth

Julie and Ellen

There was a big family celebration in the large dining room, but I snapped a photo of the area leading into this room so you can see the Country English interior design and those wacky shamrocks.
Cardboard Shamrocks of Happy Customers decorate the walls
After lunch we adjourned to my house for MORE presents, crochet and gossip.  Thank you, Ladies for a delightful afternoon!
OK.  Back to salads and veggies for awhile!  The celebration is over.


Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:10 PM PDT, Blogger Ally said...

Looks like a great birthday! Old School style!

 
At 10:36 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

You make my mouth water... The menu reminds me of Vito's Restaurant, a family favorite. Happy birthday!

 
At 10:40 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Patricia! Yes, this post was very heavy on heavy food! LOL! It was a treat to celebrate the old-school way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery