Monday, December 14, 2015

#UkuleleChristmasOrchestra


Cher, Natalie in hat, Ellen inside the heart. Photo by Music Center Staff

On Friday I met up with my ukester peeps, Cher, Natalie, Jon, Christine, Michael and Lisa to participate in the Ukulele Christmas Orchestra at the L.A. Music Center. This was the fourth year for our uke-a-long. The Music Center sends out a notice about the event, you sign up and then a few days before the meet-up, you receive most of the music in an e-mail so you can print it out and practice a bit. Some of the music is given to you at registration on the evening of the event.
Natalie and Cher

Jon and Natalie

Michael and Christine

Whenever I tote my ukulele, music stand and music through the parking lot at the Music Center, then up the stairs to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, I feel like a REAL musician heading for a performance! Yes, I know this is just a play-a-long with 300 other ukies, not a performance, but it makes me feel professional!
Musicians and Instructors

Michael & Christine, rocking out! Photo by Music Center Staff

My favorite holiday attire!

This year was the Americana edition of Uke Xmas. We played standard Christmas fare, "Jingle Bells," "The First Noel," "Deck the Halls," "Silent Night," "Mele Kalikimaka," etc. What made these songs twangy was the hammering-on technique, Carter-Family-like strums and rootsy runs that we learned. This is the way that I ALWAYS play my ukulele. I'm a folkie. I learned campfire guitar during the great folk music revival of the 1960s. Rootsy and twangy are my middle names.

Here's Chris and his banjolele
 Many people dress in holiday attire. It's a very cheerful and joyful event!
Chris let me play the banjolele. I love the sound of this instrument! Photo by Chris.

This was definitely a media event. Check out the hashtag #ukulelechristmasorchestra to see more photos of this fun evening!
Dorothy Chandler Pavilion 

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery