Friday, June 03, 2016

My Kind of Holiday!

Today is National Doughnut Day, or if you prefer the more modern spelling, National Donut Day.  It's always the first Friday of June. From Wikipedia, "The event was created by The Salvation Army in 1938 to honor the women who served doughnuts to soldiers during World War I. This day began as a fund-raiser for Chicago's Salvation Army. The goal of their 1938 fund-raiser was to help the needy during the Great Depression. The holiday celebrates the doughnut, a edible, torus-shaped piece of dough which is deep-fried and sweetened."
Today, June 3, 2016 just happens to fall on a "Bagel Friday" at my office. In addition to bagels, the office provides sweet rolls, coffee cake, fruit, juice, coffee and DOUGHNUTS! Perfect timing!
I've tasted my fair share of donuts here in Los Angeles over the years. Really, there aren't any bad donuts. However, my favorite local donut is from Primo's Donuts on Sawtelle Blvd. in West L.A. If you can be at Primo's when they pull out the buttermilk donuts from the oven, you're in for a treat!
Primo's Donuts, WLA

Maple-Bacon Donuts at Primo's
Randy's Donuts in Inglewood is legendary for it's building, a huge donut that sits on top. The donuts are delicious here too!
Mini Randy's on model train tracks at L.A. County Fair

We took a field trip four years ago with the Modern Committee to the San Gabriel Valley. One of the highlights of the day was our stop at The Donut Hole in La Puente where you can drive-through the donut!
Bob's Doughnuts at the Original Farmers Market, 3rd and Fairfax, Los Angeles is always good. I'm there at least once a week and only imbibe at Bob's maybe once a month. They do make this super-sized donut that is fun to share!
Super-Sized Donut at Bob's
By far, the MOST DELICIOUS donut I have ever eaten is the strawberry-filled glazed donut at The Donut Man in Glendora. This shop is open 24 hours and cranks out donuts constantly so they're always fresh! 
Strawberry-Filled Glazed at The Donut Man, Glendora

World War I Doughnut Dollie

If you have a chance, test out some donuts today. You'll get a quick lift AND a headache along with heightened blood sugar.  I'm not bitter, just upset that my body doesn't process donuts too well anymore. Sigh. Have a great weekend my friends!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery