Wednesday, February 27, 2019

The Poncho

Vintage Crocheted Poncho - 1970

I've made a few ponchos in my day. I used to knit them in the late 1960s, early 1970s. My standard construction was to make two long strips and join them so that they formed a triangle (see diagram below). Later, I began crocheting strips to form the two pieces. These have been rather successful and I find I can throw on a poncho any old time and be comfortable and warm. Ponchos are very convenient outerwear.
2-Piece Poncho Construction
Lately, I've been noticing the asymmetrical poncho. In recent years, the knitting and crochet communities have made this style quite popular. It's even easier to put together than the traditional poncho. Basically, it's just one long piece, joined along one side, like the diagram below.

When you're wearing this style of poncho, it hangs slightly skewed so that the triangle point hangs in front. It can be quite fetching!  My knit group friend, Barbara makes this type of poncho all the time. She likes to utilize Tunisian crochet. Putting together all kinds of great yarn and color combinations, Barbara comes up with some wonderful designs.
Two of Barbara's Asymmetrical Ponchos
Barbara inspired a few of us at the Ocean Park Fiber Artists Group to try our hand at this style of poncho. I'm using some yarn that has been in my stash for almost a decade! It's called Kauni Wool 8/2 Effektgarn. It's a self-striping yarn, fingering weight, in brown, rust and beige. The pattern I'm crocheting is from "Call The Midwife Baby Blanket." I've used this pattern numerous times in other projects. It's satisfying, easy, but not boring to crochet.
Ellen's Asymmetrical Poncho in progress
The yarn is scratchy, but once it is soaked and blocked it makes a very warm and comfortable garment. I've finished crocheting one large skein and I'm more than half-way through the second and last skein. This poncho will be perfect for our upcoming spring weather!

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:56 PM PDT, Blogger COR Surf said...

Great information provided. I appreciate your work.changing ponchos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery