Thursday, August 10, 2006

Workin' on a Washcloth

My friend, Audrey always says, "when in doubt, make a washcloth." This is excellent advice. Whenever I'm between projects or I have a multitude of projects in progress but have lost interest, I often knit or crochet a washcloth. This clears my mind, lets me practice a new stitch and produces a useful object that may have a future as a gift.
I recently purchased the Mason-Dixon Knitting book. Everyone has been knitting the "Ballband Dishcloth." I just love the brick-like pattern! This might be a great pattern to use for 'building' knitted houses! I'm always looking for alternative uses for my fiber collection.....maybe an acrylic village would be an interesting art installation?
Here's an array of the Ballband Dishcloths by the Compulsive Unraveler that I find positively striking and gorgeous!
Larry and I are going to the Dodger game tonight for the TNNA Stitch 'n Pitch night. I wanted to have a small project to take along, so that's why I started the washcloth. The Dodger letter that came along with my Knit-Night tickets specified that a bag larger than 14" or a backpack would not be allowed into the ballpark. OK! Small projects only! Got it. See you at the game!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12:19 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,

I've been knitting these Ballband Dishcloths too. I just love the pattern. I think that this stitch would be great for a cardigan. Depending on the yarn I use, this stitch has a lot of body to it.
Nice work.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 12:52 PM PDT, Blogger tb said...

I lurk around here, but I sure am glad I read you today! I was hauling my big knitting bag to the park with me. I guess I'll have to downsize and take a sock in my purse! Thank God for the Magic Loop! See you at the game! :)

 
At 1:15 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I adore that pattern! I've been wanting to make it for a while now.

Is that peaches & cream cotton? I haven't been able to find anywhere in LA that stocks it.

 
At 3:01 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Gwen,

The cotton I'm using is some "mystery" stuff I got at Stitches From The Heart Shop. You can use "Peaches and Cream", "Sugar and Cream", LionBrand "Kitchen Cotton" or (like the M-D Knitting Book says) Elmore Pisgah cotton. I've only seen Elmore Pisgah in catalogs or stores outside of California.

Any type of kitchen cotton should be fine. Michael's chain store is a good place for knitting and crochet cotton.

 
At 6:14 PM PDT, Blogger Susan Wike said...

Anybody else visualizing a purse out of this stitch?

 
At 10:17 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case you hadn't seen this, someone has already started the knitted village in the UK. They are also in the middle of doing a knitted garden too....

http://www.nothingtoseehere.net/2006/05/the_knitted_village_lancaster.html

http://www.knitting-and-crochet-guild.org.uk/newsdesk/lego.html

http://www.bhkc.co.uk/data/the_knitted_garden.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery