Monday, May 07, 2007

Yarn Collection

Alas! I have succumbed to the gargantuan, fantabulous sale at Black Sheet Knittery too many times. I must have made four trips back to this mecca in the past two months. I've heard that the 50% off sale will continue through the end of May! Don't worry, the store is NOT closing. The owner, Kristal just wants to clear out her warehouse space and keep all of the yarn at the shop. She must have a huge warehouse.


I was speaking to my friend, Ellene the other day about our out-of-control yarn purchases. She feels embarrased to discuss her purchases. I agree. What is it? Is it because there are children starving all over the world and I'm spending money on frivolous yarn? I know, I know. I shouldn't feel guilty about my purchases. I have a good job, I pay my bills, I donate to charity, I don't overspend in other areas of my life. There's just something inspiring about the possibilities that looking at, feeling and sniffing gorgeous yarn brings to me. Visions of beautiful knitted and crocheted garments float through my head. I dream of yarn and patterns.


Here are my recent purchases at the bag sale at BSK. The prices are, of course, incredible!
I have no idea what I'll create with this bounty. Maybe my dreams will tell me.




I ran over to the Michael's in Burbank on Saturday to pick up some cotton to create some washcloths for hostess gifts. I just couldn't pass up three skeins of this Caron "Simply Soft, Shadows" in the green colorway. I crocheted a cardigan using this yarn in burgundy a few months ago...I just love it. I'll probably just knit one of those Sally Melville triangle scarves.
Hello, my name is Ellen and I'm a yarn-a-holic.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 1:22 PM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

It's the eternal question of yarn-a-holics. Knit and Tonic Wendy just posted about the "stash as possibility" aspect of stashing. It really rang true with me, that it is the dream of what can be. And that's OK, i think!

 
At 1:52 PM PDT, Blogger Yarnartist said...

That's right, Ellen, bring Me into the discussion on over-indulgence! (grin) I still say it's Yarn Therapy and essential for my sanity. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

 
At 2:07 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Yarn Therapy! I like it. I need it. I will live by it! Thanks for permission, Ellene!

Jillian....we all have dreams. It's our yarn-duty to keep the dreams alive!

 
At 3:00 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

Mmmmm...yarn.

Thanks for the compliment on my shawl!

 
At 3:38 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

I cling firmly to the belief that fibercrafts are our artistic medium, and there should be no guilt involved in purchase of tools (aka yarn) for said medium.

Did people give (insert famous painter here) a rough time over buying paint? I think not.

Enjoy your new yarns and the artistic possibilities they hold!

 
At 5:12 PM PDT, Blogger Monique Marie Sauniere said...

After purging my stash before I left Washington, I have picked-up where I left off...buying more yarn. (I see you also vowed to "knit from your stash")

Ahem.

I believe it is what Madge has said. The artistic possibilities that they hold are overwhelming. Sort of like the new box of 64 crayons we got for Christmas/Hanukah every year.

 
At 8:43 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Yarn-a-holic? You? I don't believe it.
I eyed that Numero Uno yarn,too, but I thought, "No, I'll leave it for Ellen."

 
At 9:28 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

I'm so sorry I missed your purple cardigan unveiling. I love all the yarn you bought!! I may have to make another visit, but I've already gone crazy on elann.com and should be committed to the insane yarn buyers sanitarium.
See you Thursday!

 
At 5:20 AM PDT, Blogger Bratfink said...

I'm more of a threadie, but I can't pass up a sale on that.

Just remember, yarn is good house insulation. You're making the planet greener.

Have no guilt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery