Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I Love My 'Hood


Sunday we attended our Wilshire Vista Mixer. I really love my neighborhood. Everyone lives there. There are apartments, duplexes and single family homes. Probably the most unique feature of the neighborhood are the buiildings, the majority of which were built between the mid-1920's through the mid-1930's. Styles range from Spanish, Spanish Mission, and Mediterranean to English Tudor and storybook European. There are some very cool buildings from the 1950's and 1960's too.
Almost everyone takes pride in this neighborhood. The lawns and streets are well maintained. Everyone is generally friendly. We have community parties, a community resource guide and lots of participation and concern from the neighbors. I've lived in Los Angeles all my life and this is the first time (since I was a kid) that I've actually known my neighbors. I feel like we live in "Ozzie and Harriet" land. We're very lucky.
Wilshire Vista Neighbors

Wilshire Vista Photographer

The Mixer happens once a year to introduce new people to our neighborhood. It's also nice to catch up with people on different blocks who we don't see that often. We always have nametags at these events. Your last name is the name of your street! My 'hood name is Ellen Stanley. I had fun talking with Kim Spaulding and John Genessee. Jay Orange Grove didn't show up this time.

The event is catered, tables and chairs are set up. We get donations from many of the area stores and shops. Volunteers help with the planning, setting up and clean-up. Larry takes photos and we have a grand ol' time.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:14 PM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

That's really nifty! I didn't know (or think) that any LA neighborhood had that kind of, well, neighborhoodliness.

 
At 5:15 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

It *is* a great hood. Ever since we left, we've been trying to get back in.

 
At 6:52 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you make me more homesick every day but I love it. Does that even make any sense?

 
At 11:13 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Anonymous!! Do I know you? Please sign your name to comments so we can relate. Thanks!

Ellen B.

 
At 7:24 PM PDT, Blogger Nicola Monat-Jacobs said...

I'm not the anonymous poster, but I feel the same way. It's so nice to get an update on good ol'Wilshire V. Do they still do the pancake breakfasts?

 
At 7:21 AM PDT, Blogger Bratfink said...

Ellen, you do the neatest things!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery