Friday, August 03, 2007

WLA Landmark

Last weekend we went to the new Landmark Theaters at the Westside Pavillion on Pico @ Westwood. Wow! Gorgeous theaters. Very fancy shmancy. Looks like the owners are trying to replicate the feeling of exclusivity found at Hollywood's Arclight. The Landmark is known for showing smaller, art films and not the usual blockbuster movies. We needed a good, modern art house on the Westside. So many of the art film theaters are old, have broken seats, bad sound, etc.
The new Landmark is really beautiful. It's next to a refurbished Barnes and Noble Bookstore and the same complex will soon house a restaurant. There is no parking fee in the garage. Access is easy. The interior is light and airy. I've never seen such a huge concession stand...lots of choices. There is a bar and lounge that opens at 4pm everyday.
We saw "Once." It was good, but not incredible like it was hyped-up to be. We sat in one of the "living room" theaters which consists of about 20 black leather love seats and armchairs. It was a little tooooo comfortable. I started to doze off a bit during the beginning of the film.
We will definitely go back to the Landmark. I'd like to check it out at night and have a smart cocktail in the lounge.

This location is nostalgic for me. I grew up about a mile from here. BEFORE the Westside Pavillion was built, the blocks between Kelton Ave. and Overland Ave. were filled with mini-mall-type stores, the Picwood Theater and the Pic-Wood Bowling Alley. I spent many Saturday afternoons at the movies, then later at the bowling alley with my friends. I remember when the current Macy's (former May Co.) was built at the corner of Overland and Pico. It was so much more modern than our usual May Co. at Wilshire and Fairfax. The mini mall just west of the May Co. housed stores such as See's Candy, The Little Folk Shop, J.J. Newberry's and Eileen Feather Reducing Salon and a small Von's. There have been many, many changes on Pico Boulevard during my lifetime.


Pico Blvd. in the Good Ol' Days!

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 12:57 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first job when MG and I arrived in LA was at the old May Co. in the linen department. It was quite a hoot, as there were often celebrities shopping there. I remember Alana Hamilton (who later became Alana Stewart) coming in and laying down a bunch of money on towels. Maybe I waited on you Ellen!

 
At 2:40 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hah! Christine...you never know? You may have waited on me at the Fairfax May Co. Our paths have crossed many times over the years.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother used to take me and my Mom to the May Co. Wilshire for lunch and fashion shows in the dining room on the top floor. It was very swanky and grown-up.

 
At 8:46 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen.I lived on the corner of Manning & Olympic till i got married.I so enjoy your wonderful pictures...now i live along the coast in Southern Maine........coast to coast..while i'm here on a visit i will check Westside pallion ...after i eat at the Apple Pan......Thanks for your interestings travel photos around Los Angeles....Its fun to see how things were and now are !!! Sydney ........... Hoping to make it to Farmers Market with my yarn projects..and see your nice group of friends !

 
At 8:15 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure do know how to make me homesick!!

 
At 4:58 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

:) I was thinking, "A bar?! I have GOT to check that out!!" when you mentioned falling asleep. :) Yup. That would be a waste of the admission price.

Y'know, back East, they used to have movie houses where they'd show 2nd run or art house films, and you could buy beer and order from a bar menu. I've often wondered why they don't have those out here.

 
At 12:26 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just took me back to my childhood as well. I remember seeing Peter Pan I think at the PicWood. I grew up in Beverly Wood so that was part of my hood as well....

At least we know that F&S Fabrics will never go away.... I think some of the staff is the same from when I was a kid!

Always love reading your tales of LA...

 
At 12:27 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember lunches at the Bollocks in Westwood or better yet the tea room at the Bollocks Wilshire.... Awwww memories of an era gone by :(

 
At 3:44 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

OKAY!!! Who remembers "The Swiss Echo" restaurant? "Robozo's" Mexican restaurant? The Fairytale Bakery? The "Corner Cafe'? All on Pico between Beverly Glen and Veteran. We still go to "Anna's' (since I'm five, about the same time my Mom would take me to "Buster Brown's" in Westland for shoes.) Of course we would go to the counter @ the May Co. for after school sandwiches. Who remembers the statue of St. Francis of Assisi in the May Co. mall?

 
At 5:02 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Maria!
I remember lots of those places! Thanks for the memories.

 
At 9:14 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI: The baker for Fairytale bakery bought his own shop. Westchester Bakery.Not sure if he still owns it, but he did a few years ago. Had many birthday cakes made from him.

 
At 1:58 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the Swiss Echo well. It was a family favorite. Authentic butter lettuce salad with a tangy dressing that was just like we had eaten in Switzerland. Hot potato salad! I remember the wonderful, succulent desserts. Plum pie served with fresh whipped cream. OH how I miss that restaurant, and having lunch with my Mom.

 
At 3:49 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Swiss Echo. Their sauteed calve's liver & onions were amazing. Anyone remember Les Pyrenees on Wilshire, I think?

 
At 6:30 PM PDT, Anonymous Stuart said...

Do you remember Sweeter Girl across from the May Co. And the old Junior's Deli before it moved to Westwood Blvd?
I can actually recall a circus tent on the corner of Pico and Overland with elephants working up from the tracks which someday will be the Exposition line. I was about five or six when the circus came to the corner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery