Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mid-Century Modernism

The Ultimate Mid-Century Home, San Fernando Valley
Larry and I both really like the architectural style known as Mid-Century Modern. We're particulary fond of the California Modern style, which brings the outdoors inside by providing seamless transitions. We'd love to live in modern-style home. HOWEVER, the neighborhood where we live has about 4 post-war homes built in this style. Our area was developed in the 1920's and 1930's, when Spanish Revival was all the rage. Most of the great areas for Mid-Century Modern in Los Angeles are located in newer sub-divisions, built after World War II, like Trousdale Estates in Beverly Hills, Ladera Heights near Baldwin Hills, parts of Culver City and Beverlywood and many sections of the San Fernando Valley.
As I drive around the City, I try to notice updated homes, re-styled with modernism in mind. I've seen a few....

Santa Monica Remodel

Venice Remodel
When you look around the sides of these remodeled homes, you can always see vestiges of the pre-War bungalows that they were originally.
One of my favorite remodels is one that I visited this past weekend in the Larchmont area. This home had a floor-plan very similar to our 1920's era home. I'm sure it was of the same vintage. You can still see the old roofline and many of the Spanish bungalow details, but the architect added some beautiful modern materials to the home, inside and out, to give it a modern look.

Updated and Modernized Home, Larchmont Area, Hollywood

Larchmont Area, Interior

The ultimate, newly built modern home is owned by our friends Maggie and Bill in Studio City. They're still working on the finishing touches, but this modern design is a stand-out!


The Crochet Car Visits Maggie's and Bill's Modern Home



Interior, Studio City Home

Our home, even though the style is Spanish Revival, is a very simple design with a flat roof. We could possibly get rid of the few Spanish-style elements and turn our home into a mid-century modern-look. Our studio in the back and our new addition are very simple and modern-looking. Maybe, one of these days, when we can afford it, we'll modernize and update. In the meantime, here's a shot of our room addition, being framed.

Can This House Be Saved?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 2:44 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen,
I think that your little Spanish bungalow has a lovely, vintage-looking exterior. You should maintain that look. Maybe some new landscaping?

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 7:05 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

I actually prefer the Spanish Revival look over the modern. I also like funky vintage cottage style though! I think your house is charming and my preference would be to play up the details of that style. But everyone's taste is different!

 
At 11:03 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the comments, Judy and Kath. Yes, we're here in our little Spanish bungalow for the long haul. Right now, we really can't afford to do a COMPLETE house remodel. I'm sure, after painting and freshening the house, it will look better. New landscaping is a must!

Ellen B.

 
At 12:23 PM PDT, Blogger KnittingBlueContent said...

Framing! Wooot. You're moving right along.

All that extra room? My my, room for more yarn, LOL.

 
At 6:21 AM PDT, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

The "Venice Remodel" is on my street and was very similar to your "Spanish" house before the remodel. The next time I see my neighbors who live in that house I'll ask if they have any pictures of the house before. The remodel was done about 4 or 5 years ago.

 
At 11:34 AM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Aww, I love your Spanish Revival house. And when the remodel is done it's gonna be SWEET. New landscaping, too? *squee* You totally need some Pride of Madeira.

 
At 11:36 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I love your bungalow. The "modern" look is okay, but doesn't seem to have enough character for the two of you - too stark and linear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery