Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Reading!

Me? Read a book? Not anymore. I used to be a voracious reader. Since I've given my life completely over to yarn for the past 8 years or so, I just don't have time to read! As far as I'm concerned, if I have time to read then I should be knitting or crocheting! The only books I have time for are yarny books and magazines.
One of my Ravelry e-friends, Gale Zucker is the photographer who was inspired to create the book "Shear Spirit" with writer, Joan Tapper. The book is a combo-travelogue, pattern book, biography of ten fiber farmers across the U.S. and how their farms are run, highlighting the beautiful yarn they produce.
Gale's blog is called She Shoots Sheep Shots. She loves to photograph sheep! I'm constantly intrigued by Gale's photos. I have a lot of experience looking at various photographers' work (Mr. Larry is a pro, you know, and has taught me quite a bit about looking at photos). Whenever I really look at one of Gale's photos, I want to know more about the shot, the story behind the location, the subject of the photo, the time of day, did she shoot with film or digital, etc. Her photographs are luminous. Joan Tapper's interviews with the owners and creators of the fiber are really insightful. Her descriptions of life on the fiber farm, along with Gale's photos make me feel like I'm there.
So, for me to sit down and actually READ a book is earth-shattering. I'm only up to Chapter 3, but after reading just that much of "Shear Spirit," the book makes me want to drive up the coast to an alpaca farm and commune with the furry ones. Luckily, the book offers patterns too, utilizing yarn from the various farms visited. I really do want to make quite a few of these. What a wonderful journey these two women must have had, traveling across our beautiful countryside. Hey Gale! When are you going to put together a fiber farm bus tour for your fans? We could have knit and crochet lessons while driving from farm to farm!!! I'll help with the crochet. Sign me up, please.
All photos by Gale Zucker

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:23 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Two comments from me:
1) I'm ferklempt. Thanks for this review.We are thrilled everytime we hear someone GET us.

2) Your idea. What an idea. I would LOVE to do a bus tour.I am going to give this serious thought.

 
At 8:42 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

I am signing up for the bus tour too, but first I will get the book!

 
At 11:32 AM PST, Blogger LizKnits said...

Hey Big congrats on the pattern (I'm just catching up on reading posts) ... it looks great. Makes me want to learn to crochet! This book looks great to me too. If you get that tour going, give me a ring [laugh]!

 
At 3:47 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen!

I want to go on a tour of sheep farms!!! Count me in!

Judy
Bakersfield

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery