Monday, January 26, 2009

Byzantine-Latino Quarter

On Saturday I ran errands in the morning. Later in the afternoon I was headed over to the Fairview Knitters group. Since I zoomed out to Santa Monica a bit early, I stopped in at Wild Fiber for the second time last week. I didn't have to leave my end of town early, but subconsciously (and consciously) I wanted to go back to Wild Fiber. That beautiful store is like a magnet for me. Their back room is chock full of half-price deals. I'd picked up some gorgeous Araucania Ranco yarn in pinky-purple tones last week ($9 for over 300 yards!). I started crocheting a Seraphina shawl. The shawl is coming out so beautifully, that I decided to go back and see what other colors of this great yarn were on sale. I came away with a lovely greenish-blend....photos later this week.
We had a nice time at the Fairview Knitters group. When it's winter, we meet in the community room at this little gem of a mid-century-built library. In the warmer months, we sit in the patio. Natalie was our surprise guest on Saturday. We all had a great time discussing patterns, yarn and Ravelry.
I just didn't feel like cooking dinner when I got home, so Larry and I headed over to Papa Cristos and C.K. Imports on Pico Blvd. at Normandie in what is now called the Byzantine-Latino Quarter of Los Angeles. St. Sophia's Greek Orthodox Cathedral is across the street from this great restaurant and market. In the old days, this area of town was essentially populated by Greek people. Today, it is predominantly Latin, however, many of the Greek businesses still exist...hence the name of the area. It's always enjoyable visiting St. Sophia's when the Greek Festival is happening...it takes place in early September and there's always music, dancing, great food, lectures on how olive oil is made, etc. It's worth going just to see the inside of the Cathedral. It is truly beautiful.
Back to Papa Cristo's. The food is simple, hearty Greek food. We had an appetizer of sizzling feta cheese and tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil and spices with grilled pita bread. We shared a chicken plate which contained half of a rotisserie chicken, Greek salad, roasted potatoes and some Greek olives. Everything was truly delicious and very reasonable.

After dinner we wandered through the market side of the establishment. They have a marvelous selection of Greek food products: Olive oil, olives, wine, breads, meat, hummus and baba ghanouj, tahini, pastries, condiments and more. We parked in the FREE parking lot in back. As we walked back to our car we noticed a mural on the storeroom wall of lovely ladies preparing and cooking chicken! In fact, this place is full of murals. Check out the mural of a Greek village on the side of the building.This place definitely warrants a field trip. You really should visit.
Papa Cristo's and C.K. Market, 2771 West Pico Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90006, Phone: (323) 737-2970, Fax: (323) 737-3571, Open Tues-Sat 10am - 8pm; Sunday 9am-4pm, closed Mondays.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 3:07 PM PST, Blogger jenna! said...

I *adore* Papa Cristos for every reason you mention. Have you done their Big Fat Greek Thursday Night Dinner? Its so much fun! Not only is there great food and wine but the energy and music and dancing is just wonderful.

 
At 4:08 PM PST, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

We order from Papa Christos at least three times a month. I usually have to drive over and pick it up. I love the Souvlaki.

 
At 6:58 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Papa Christos is on the to try list! It was fun bumping into you on Saturday with the Fairview knitters. .

 
At 7:27 PM PST, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

I love Papa Christos too and have been shopping there for years! Glad to see that they are so popular.

 
At 8:28 PM PST, Blogger Lisa said...

Sorry to miss you at Wild Fiber Saturday! I was there around 11. And in case you might think I was stalking you... I was also at Papa Christo's this weekend! Can't remember which day, may have been Friday.

 
At 1:53 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Mmmmmmmmm... Might have to try Papa Christo's. Wee Monkey is suddenly into Greek food (or hummus, anyway), and who knows how long that'll last. And that cathedral is gorgeous...

 
At 4:23 PM PST, Blogger Allison said...

Hi Ellen! One of my regrets is not visiting Papa Cristos before leaving LA. I am a Greek food fanatic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery