Friday, January 23, 2009

But It Was On Sale!

The other day on my lunch hour I wandered into Wild Fiber Yarn Shop in Santa Monica. It's really dangerous that I work within minutes of four excellent LYS (Wild Fiber, Compatto, Yarns Unlimited and Stitching is an Art).
Wild Fiber has an excellent selection of Noro yarns. I was looking for a multicolored-striping yarn with lots of true red in it. Alas, Noro yarns tend to the orangey-burgundies and pinky-purple warm tones...no really red reds.
Of course, I wandered into Wild Fiber's back room where all the yarn and books are half-price. I came upon a bin of Araucania Ranco. I had purchased some of this in brown tones during the Wild Fiber sale last month. Well, now this fantastic yarn was 50% off the regular price of $18 for 376 yards! I was immediately drawn to the pinky blend below.I also picked up a few skeins in blue tones. I never have blue or beige yarn for gifts when I need it. I couldn't keep my hands of this gorgeous light weight yarn. I immediately started my preferred crocheted shawl pattern: Seraphina, size "G" hook. I may keep this shawl, I may be crocheting this for a Christmas gift. I like to be prepared. There's a group on Ravelry that is working on holiday gifts for December 2009! I may just join.Forecast in Los Angeles is rain for the weekend. A perfect time to crochet, knit, watch TV and listen to all of my new CDs!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 1:40 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yarn works up beautifully! Love the shawl.

BTW--I'm listening to a knitting podcast from SF, and they are saying that Art Fibers in closing. And I never got to see the place! *sigh*

Christine G.

 
At 1:45 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen,

All of your Seraphina Shawls have been beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 1:50 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

I've been wanting to try that yarn - I fondled a bit of it during the traveling scarf project and it was yummy! I'll put that on my list of things to look for when I'm at Stitches West next month.

 
At 2:29 PM PST, Blogger Lisa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:30 PM PST, Blogger Lisa said...

oooh that back room at Wildfiber can be dangerous! I have to go there tomorrow to pick up some needles. My cat ate my bamboo #5 straights so I'll take this opportunity to upgrade to something metal that Little Miss Daisy can't destroy. Will try to wear blinders to the store, but you know that doesn't really work...

 
At 4:27 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, very pretty! I like the way the colors don't stripe in the crochet shells but rather look more mottled. Those are my colors.... delish!

 
At 8:21 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

delish...how could you resist? The yarn is gorgeous.

 
At 9:21 AM PST, Blogger Annette said...

Love those colors! I might have to pay a visit to Wild Fiber Wed. since I'll be in the area. :) Uh oh.

 
At 8:05 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

I'm coming over!

 
At 11:12 AM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

You + WF = serious stash enhancement. :) Too funny.

Of course, I'm no better - I had WMG pick out 3 colors of Caron's "Eco" (I know, I shouldn't mention acrylic and WF in the same comment!) *just* because her and her father were going to Wally-World.

 
At 12:46 PM PST, Blogger mj said...

Oh, the famous last words --- it was on sale! I've broken my promise to myself already and bought bunches of yarn on SumtuousYarns.com and Yarnmarket.com because I'm all excited about the Aslan Trends Yarn contest. Check it out!
BTW, the Ranco stuff is gorgeous -- have quite a few skeins in my stash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery