Wednesday, June 03, 2009

"Vintage Baby Knits"

The new book by Kristen Rengren ("retroknit" on Ravelry) is called "Vintage Baby Knits. From the official website... "Kristen Rengren is a long-time collector of vintage clothing and ephemera and a former vintage clothing dealer. Her work as a knitwear designer and author is inspired and informed by her vast collection of vintage knitting patterns. Spanning the golden age of baby knitting from the 1920s through the 1950s.....each pattern has been revised and updated for modern sensibilities..."
I love knitting and crocheting items for babies. They are small, usually quick and give the knitter great satisfaction. Sometimes, while I'm working on designing a sweater for myself, I'll make a quick baby version to work out the pattern difficulties.
"Vintage Baby Knits" has at least 40 patterns to choose from. There are pullovers, hoodies, hats, socks, dresses, blankets, soakers, toys and more. It really is a cornucopia of varied patterns for babies. You can see that many of the patterns are truly vintage. In this day, who would knit an entire snowsuit for a baby? I appreciate the historical aspect of the pattern and might make the pieces separately. However, Kristen has updated the yarn type and pattern directions, making this vintage number definitely do-able.
Some of my favorite items from the book:

Stellar Pixie Hat

Louise Cardigan

Billie Beret

Rufus Textured Cardi

The "Bettie Lou Lace Cardigan" on the cover is a stand-out too! Most of these designs could definitely be adapted for adults. I love it when little babies look so grown-up! I'm looking forward to making many items from this book. Nice work Retroknit!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:26 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this book yet, Ellen. Thanks for the review. I'll seek it out!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 5:15 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Super cute knits. I love the Betty Lou pompoms

 
At 5:24 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I love these patterns. Other than the one (1!) FLS, I think baby items are the only clothing I'm capable of completing. I *love* that cover cardigan. Wicked cute. Thanks for the pics!!

 
At 8:02 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

I am considering knitting for my new great niece for this coming up winter. It would be nice to finish something fairly quick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery