Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Commendable Cause

My friend, Gale, told me about this worthy cause. This year I'm prepared to contribute! It's called The Red Scarf Project.
From the Orphan Foundation of America site: In 2005, OFA launched a unique initiative to warm the hearts (and necks) of college-bound foster youth. We began taking donations of handmade red scarves to put into our Valentine's Day Care Packages. Here are the particulars:
Scarf Size: Approximately 60" long and 5" to 8" wide. Scarves should be long enough to be wrapped around the neck, with tails long enough to be tied in the front.
Style: Think unisex collegiate. Ask yourself if your son, brother, and/or husband would enjoy receiving the scarf. Fringes are optional. Your scarf should drape and tie easily.
Yarn: Preferably DK, double fingering-weight, worsted weight, or light bully yarns. No laceweight, super-chunky, or mohair yarns as there are many people who find mohair too itchy. The yarn should be soft.
Color: Red! However, this could mean burgundy, cherry, russet, red stripes with other colors, or multicolor hues including red. Other unisex colors, including black, navy, teal, olive or gold are also welcome.
Finished and tagged: Yarn ends should be securely sewn in. For a personal touch, attach a tag saying "Handmade for You" with your first name, city, and group affiliation, if any. Donors have also included washing instructions, messages of encouragement, gift cards, burger bucks, books of stamps, etc.

Deadline is December 15, 2009. Check out the site for pattern ideas. My scarf is a modified version of this one. Using size 10 needles, I cast on 28 stitches using Lana Grossa Bingo. Garter stitch first 10 stitches, rib (K1, P1) next 8 stitches, garter stitch remaining 10 stitches. I continued this for about 7 rows, then cabled (in ribbing) the center 8 stitches. By ribbing the cable, it is reversible, so the scarf looks good on both sides. Brilliant!

Come on! I know you've got some red, burgundy or russet yarn in your stash. Whip out a few of these scarves and send them to The Orphan Foundation of America, The Red Scarf Project, 21351 Gentry Drive, Sterling, VA 20166. Thank you!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 2:56 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great cause, Ellen. I plan to contribute too. Thanks for the links.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 3:51 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made one a couple of years ago - thanks for the reminder.
Judy (from rpa)

 
At 4:43 PM PDT, Blogger jenna! said...

Yup, I dig this one. I made one last year and I have one on the needles this year thanks to your twitter reminder.

 
At 5:23 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look and see if I have anything appropriate in my stash. What a great idea.

 
At 5:56 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:37 PM PDT, Blogger Brian said...

Hi Ellen!

Just popping in to say, "hi!" Hope you remember me. . . I met you in Suss's store during her sale day. Judging from your blog it looks like you got to do more fun stuff afterward at that yarn gathering.

I like all the informative stuff you have on your blog. Thanks for the info on this red scarf project. I'll see if I can grind one out in between all my other yarnie projects. . .

Take care!

Marla

 
At 2:42 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,

Came over from Crazy Aunt Pearl and as a fellow Los Angeleno, I'm delighted to discover your blog. Would you care to make me feel better by photographing your legendary stash?

 
At 2:47 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Anonymous...You can see a bit of my "stash" on this page:

http://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2006/04/flash-your-stash.html#links

Scroll down to the last photo!

 
At 4:16 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Dude. Why all the quests to see your stash?! It *is* legendary, I must admit, but...

I made a scarf for this project, but it is a skootch too short, and then was lazy and washed it (accidentally) with a towel in the load. I'm pretty sure they won't want it now. :( I'm glad they're getting your lovely scarf.

 
At 5:33 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

Thanks for the reminder! I've contributed a couple of scarves to this every year and a few months ago I even swapped a pattern book for some lovely soft washable red yarn just so I'd have something to use for this project!

 
At 5:00 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Very cool project & cause.

I will have to dig into the stash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery