Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Southern California Eats

Last Friday, Larry and I attended a book signing at The Soap Plant in Hollywood for "Southern California Eats." The book was photographed and written by our Mod-Com friends, Adriene Biondo and John Eng.
Adriene, Ellen and John
The book is a pictorial history of classic SoCal eateries. It's not only a tribute to restaurants that are no longer with us, but it's a sort of guidebook to places that are still serving meals. I recognize most of the restaurants photographed in the book, but there are many that I haven't actually been to, especially places in San Bernardino and beyond. I look forward to keeping this book in the car as a handy reference to eating establishments while on the road.

I have seen many photos of some of these classic restaurants in other publications. However, Adriene and John seemed to find different angles to photograph. It's so refreshing.

The book signing was great. There were many friends in attendance. I always like visiting The Soap Plant, which also houses La Luz de Jesus Art Gallery and Wacko.
Store Interior
There's a great book selection, along with kitschy items such as tiki-abilia, totebags, lamps, accessories, candles and anything else you could possibly want. Of course, I couldn't leave the place without buying a robot totebag!
Congratulations to Adriene and John for writing this informative and beautifully photographed book!

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 12:58 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

The book is really beautiful and interesting. Good stuff to read, look, and eat. I have to pick up a copy.

 
At 1:23 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I've always meant to stop by that place and I never have. Now I will just for the robot tote.

 
At 1:27 PM PDT, Blogger jenna! said...

The book looks fabulous and I LOVE your robot tote!

 
At 2:56 PM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

I've been thinking about you. Hope the fires will die down soon. I'm praying for a big rainstorm to help soak down those flames.

 
At 3:32 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Me too, Chelle! Thanks for the comment.

Luckily, Larry and I live in urban Los Angeles, way south of the fires. There isn't a bit of brush in our 'hood to catch fire...thankfully!

I, too am praying for rain. We need something to break this heat-spell!

 
At 4:42 AM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Another place to put on my "Someday When I Visit LA" list. Congratulations to your freinds, the books looks really great.

 
At 12:45 AM PDT, Blogger Adriene said...

We had so much fun celebrating with all of our friends! Thank you for being there, Ellen (and Larry!) and for the wonderful compliments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery