Friday, January 07, 2011

Vintage Photo Friday

Freda and Sam Katz, Elm Drive, Beverly Hills, 1956

341-343 South Elm Drive, Beverly Hills. My grandfather, Sam Katz, built this apartment building in 1955. Jules Salkin was the architect. Salkin (a close friend of my Dad's) was one of the architects instrumental in the founding and designing of the legendary Crestwood Hills project in Brentwood.
Grandpa built this apartment after selling their home on Beverwil Drive in Beverly Hills. I remember the owner's apartment, upstairs, being very large and spacious. Since there are three addresses at this building, I'm assuming that the owner's apartment is the entire second floor and that there are two apartments downstairs.
The building looks much the same today, except that the decorative grill-work on the front is gone and the plants have grown up a bit. Also, there are apartment buildings on either side of the Katz residence instead of single family homes. This is a building for the ages. It still looks great! Good design is good design.

341-343 So. Elm Drive, Beverly Hills, 2010

This building is one block south of Beverly Vista Elementary School. When I we were young, my cousin Janet and I would walk to Grandma's and Grandpa's place after school most days for snacks and to hang-out until one of our mother's picked us up.....built-in baby sitters!
Below, after Grandma and Grandpa returned from a trip to Hawaii with goodies for all, my brother, Ken and I model our Hawaiian togs with Mom in the middle, in front of that very same apartment building.
Ellen, Roz and Ken Bloom, Beverly Hills, 1956

Have a wonderful weekend!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4:16 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I look forward to vintage photo Fridays.

Cousin Jason

 
At 6:24 PM PST, Blogger Julie said...

Your childhood sounds idyllic. Have you thought of writing a memoir?

That IS a building for the ages.

 
At 9:32 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the word togs! You don't hear it much anymore.

You are adorable for the ages!

Christine G.

 
At 9:48 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks so much for the comments, my friends!

Hey Julie...I did have a wonderful childhood. I consider my blog to be my memoir!

 
At 8:32 PM PDT, Anonymous George Vreeland Hill said...

Thanks for sharing these photos.
They are wonderful.

George Vreeland Hill

 
At 6:52 AM PDT, Blogger Lesli said...

Hi Ellen-
I just stumbled across your blog about the apartment building on Elm Drive that your grandfather built in 1955. I used to live at 343 So. Elm Drive in the early 1970's when I was approx between the ages of 5-7 years old! I am now 49 years old. It would be fun to hear back from you. I can describe the unit location I lived in and maybe you would know which one i am speaking about. You can email me at lesli.b@hotmail.com
Hope to hear back from you, Lesli

 
At 4:35 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Do you, by any chance have a pic available of the house they lived in?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery