Thursday, May 08, 2014

Shades of Gray


The colors around us are important.  Color can affect our mood and our thoughts.  Color has the power to change the shape and size of furnishings as well as the shape and size of the room itself.  Each color has a psychological value.  Colors can be active, passive and neutral.  They can be harmonious or discordant. 
We are in the process of changing the look of our living and dining rooms.  For almost 15 years we had a taupe, brown, gold, black and cream color scheme with orange accents.  We recently purchased dark gray tweed couches.  Even though they are both neutrals, the gray couches don't work with the taupe walls.  I have to decide on a shade of gray for the walls, buy new armchairs, throw pillows, area rug and other items.
What is Gray?

For the meantime, I added an aqua and red pillow on the gray couches.  Not working.  I like the pthalo green and raspberry in the paintings over the couch.  I might echo those colors in pillows and/or an area rug.  The lines of these couches demand modern, graphic prints (nothing frilly) to compliment.  I'm thinking a strong black & white or gray & white print would work; gray walls; white trim.  I have so many orange pieces, that orange may just have to be my accent color.
Work In Progress.

I'm feeling off-key and dissonant in this living room.  I need to take another vacation to have time to harmonize our house!!!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:07 PM PDT, Blogger lauriejoke said...

I agree, Ellen - those gorgeous gray pieces are screaming for raspberry pillows or rug!

 
At 5:08 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the paintings! (and the couches are pretty cool too!)

 
At 5:10 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Debra. I've got a bit of work to do, but a lot to work with!

 
At 9:50 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

Nice couches!
Actually, I like the bright red pillows with the gray.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery