Friday, June 05, 2015

Vintage Photo Friday

The Donut Hole, La Puente, CA

Today is National Donut Day, celebrated on the first Friday in June. You can read about the history of this day here.  National Donut Day is a kick-off to a sweet summer. I like doughnuts, but I don't LOVE them. I'm more of a savory eater than a sweets eater. Give me a chewy bagel with cream cheese and lox for a yummy treat!
We are blessed to have many donut/doughnut shops here in Los Angeles. A few lists have been circulating as to the BEST donuts in our City. I'm partial to Bob's Doughnuts at the Original Farmers Market and Randy's Donuts near the L.A. Airport. 
While on a Modern Committee tour of the San Gabriel Valley in 2012, we visited and taste-tested the donuts at the Donut Hole.  The drive-through donut is a perfect spot for a group photo.
L.A. Conservancy Modern Committee, 2012. Photo by Larry Underhill (click on pic to enlarge and see all of your friends)

The last time I was at Randy's Donuts near LAX was in 2012. This was during the time that the space shuttle Endeavor  was being transported from LAX to Exposition Park. In honor of this move, Randy's placed a model of the Endeavor in the hole of it's gigantic donut. The Endeavor passed right by Randy's during it's journey.  It was epic. Everyone in L.A. turned out to cheer the space shuttle as it lumbered through L.A.

See the Endeavor model in Randy's donut hole? 2012


"Big Donut Drive-In", photo by Wm. M. Graham, Getty Images

Randy's Donuts is such an iconic spot, that it's included in the model railroad at the L.A. County Fair!
Mini-Randy's on model train tracks at L.A. County Fair
Have fun this weekend.  I may have to test the donuts at Primo's in Westdale.  It's close and I haven't been there yet!  See you at the donut shop!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:28 PM PDT, Blogger Leah said...

There were the donuts filled with fruit at the Donut Man in Glendora on our 2014 Yarn Crawl. Good memories.

 
At 7:30 PM PDT, Blogger Lizzy Tex Borden said...

It's funny... I spend my whole life either being driven by (when I was little) or driving by Randy's and you just don't pay much never-mind to it until Iron Man shows up sitting in the giant hole. Lot's of stuff like that in our lives here I suppose. That's the fun of it.

 
At 8:53 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Leah...I almost posted a photo of that fab strawberry filled donut we had last year at Donut Man, but it made me too hungry!!

Lizzy! LOVE your blog too...great photos!

 
At 9:04 PM PDT, Blogger Lizzy Tex Borden said...

Thanks very much, Ellan... and thank you for visiting!

Lizzy

 
At 9:05 PM PDT, Blogger Lizzy Tex Borden said...

Aw shucks.... I mean "Ellen"....

Lizzy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery