Wednesday, December 07, 2016

...And It's On It's Merry Way!

THIS IS REPEAT-WORTHY! From last year's blog-post:
Click to embiggen

L.A. peeps!  Remember Mission Pak? I remember every word of their TV commercial jingle, "Say the magic word, say Mission Pak and it's on it's merry way. No gift so bright, so gay, so right. Give the Mission Pack magic way."  Call ADams 2-4184.
This ear-worm has been plaguing me for days! I was at the Original Farmers Market last week and saw these gift boxes of California fruits and nuts to send to your friends and family back East. I immediately thought about Mission Pak! In addition to the gift paks, there was also a subscription club for Mission Pak. You could have fresh fruit EVERY month of the year!  I wish I could find a video of the commercial.
Mission Pak boxes were made out of wood and featured scenes of sunny California!

Mission Pak was founded by George C. Page in 1917. YES! The very same George C. Page (1901-2000) whose name graces our fossil museum at the La Brea Tar Pits! Page was quite a renaissance man. He sold Mission Pak in 1946 and moved into car manufacturing, then real estate development. He financed the construction of many public buildings in Southern California. Read more about Page's life HERE

There are tons of companies that provide the service of shipping fresh fruits and nuts today. Harry and David come to mind, as well as Hickory Farms. I feel lucky to live in California and have fresh fruit all year 'round. We never received a Mission Pak when I was a kid, but the displays in store windows and that infectious jingle made the holidays so festive!
Ordered my Fruit Cake from Collin Street Bakery this year!

Oh, how I wish Mission Pak was still in business!

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 5:21 PM PST, Blogger Brenda said...

Back in the 60's, my aunt lived in a suburb of Sacramento. Every year at Christmas, she sent a big box of dried fruit trays and nuts to my grandpa's house---one for each of her sisters' families. I loved them---they seemed so exotic---the woven wicker trays and all the fruits that don't grow in the Midwest, like Apricots and figs.

 
At 8:50 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the comment, Brenda! I remember the baskets

 
At 10:49 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ellen,
this brings back memories of my childhood. We lived across the street from the plant on 32nd St. I remember the plant manager Bob Shumer.

As a reward, every year on the last day before closing for the holiday's, Bob would gather up a few of us kids on our block and gave us 30 min to shop for our families. He was a very cool crusty old guy. I wonder if he had a family of his own.

Thanks for sharing this, I will most definetly share this with my siblings.

Happy Chrismukkah to you and Larry

Mike

 
At 11:04 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

That's a great memory, Mike! YOU are part of Los Angeles history!! Bring back Mission Paks!

Happy holidays to you and Gail too!

Ellen

 
At 6:25 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

"nuts.com " has the Mission pack equivalent

 
At 6:49 PM PST, Anonymous ANN BERET JOHNSEN said...


DURING WORLD WAR II, OUR FAMILY WOULD SEND A MISSION PAK BOX TO OUR RELATIVES IN NORWAY. WHEN I WENT TO VISIT THEM IN THE LATE 1960'S THEY SHOWED ME THE WOODEN BOX WITH CALIFORNIA MISSION PAK AND A BEAR PRINTED ON IT. I WAS SURPRISED THEN THAT WHAT THEY LOVED THE MOST WAS A LARGE BOX OF ORANGES THAT WAS INCLUDED WITH THEIR GIFT. IT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME THAT AN ORANGE WAS SUCH A SPECIAL TREAT. THEY SHOWED ME PHOTOS OF THE BOX WHEN IT FIRST ARRIVED AND WHEN THEY SHARED IT WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

 
At 6:26 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

I received a Santa on a little box of candy around 1955 from my beloved aunt. I still have him and the original box. He is put in place of honor every Christmas. His strafome is glued here and there but I love him. Oh and I love the gingle

 
At 6:19 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would get Mission Pak in the mail. Complete with the wicker tray & white plastic tongs. Loved all its fruity, nutty goodness! My mom would put oranges, apples, nuts, candy, & a roll of quarters in each kids stocking! Joyous times for sure.

 
At 6:21 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a beautiful lady, Ellen Bloom.

 
At 4:24 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In about 1954 my parents sent each family friends Mission Pak to Utah. I think it was about 10 boxes. Each family loved them.

 
At 8:26 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH my!! Such Wonderful Memories!! I have Many. George C. Page and his Lovely French Wife were My Mothers God Parents. My Mother's Mother. My Grandmother who we Affectionately called Mom worked for Mission Pak most of her Life.. The Pages were Best Friends. Mom was also From France . Mom was a French War Bride. I am sure Mrs Page was also. I remember visiting as a child their Home on the Beach in Malibu. Mrs Page's Mother Spun Yarn in the lower room on the Beach on her Spinning Wheel. As kids we were Mesmerized!! Her name was Madam Kress. She only spoke French. The Home was Extravagant!!
Later on they moved to a Home He built in The Hollywood Hills. It too was Extravagent. I could explain alot about it but this is prob. Enough.
I just happened to Google George's Name this eve. And Loved reading about him. I was aware he was a Self made Millionaire. Not even a High School Diploma. Imagine that.
Wow what People can do with their lives if they only try. Forgive me for referring to Mrs Page as for a few min. Her first name had slipped my mind. Her name will come back to me the min. I sign off.
Affectionately
Theresa Struthers
Grandaughter of the Late
Harvey and Theresa Adam's of Glendale Calif.
Oh My Thank You Lord
Her name was Juliette!!!


She was Beautiful!!!!

 
At 7:09 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ellen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery