Monday, September 24, 2018

Ukulele Festival 2018

Natalie and Cher

We had a GREAT time at the L.A. International Ukulele Festival in Torrance on Saturday. The classes were great. The food trucks were way more organized this year. It was breezy and sunny, a perfect Aloha day!

I met up with Natalie, Cher and Mary for a little strum-a-long and the first prize drawing of the day. Cher's friend, Mary from Topanga won a ukulele!! So cool!
Mary's new "prize" Ohana ukulele
UkuLenny and Cynthia Lin
I took three classes, Aaron Keim's Clawhammer class; Kris Fuchigami's Techniques and Embellishments class was really informative. We learned how to solo on a 12-bar blues in UkuLenny's class! 
Aaron Keim
Kris Fuchigami
UkuLenny and Cynthia Lin
Later in the day, we listened to Cali Rose and the CC Strummers play a set. I know a few people in this group because some of the Strummers are in my weekly Ukulele Workshop at Boulevard Music in Culver City. They sounded great and played some eclectic songs!

One of the most fun parts of the day was running into friends from other ukulele groups. I'm not sure of the final count, but there were hundreds of people at the Festival.
Deb and Joe
Christine and Cali
Brett "Tooch" Santucci, Leader of the Pluckin' Strummers
Susanna Sandke is at EVERY uke event I've ever attended, even in Port Townsend, WA!
It's also super fun to check out all of the vendors. They were selling everything from ukuleles to jewelry, songbooks and more!
I love how the natural knot-hole in the wood became the sound hole!


Oil Can Ukes
I'm especially fond of colorfully dressed people. Some of my faves on Saturday:
 


The Bunny Lady offered to place the bunny on top of my head. I declined.

Every year I figure out easier ways to navigate this festival. Next year I will take less gear and NOT plan anything in the evening after the festival. I was exhausted, but happy!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery