Thursday, June 15, 2006

Progress

Granny Afghan In Progress
I've been crocheting away on that granny square afghan for my boss. I decided to alternate rows of multi-color grannies with solid grannies, all trimmed in timeless black yarn. Changing colors every round was getting annoying and slowing me down. By alternating rows, I think this calms down the overall design of this classic afghan.
Lately, since I've been carting around this granny monster, others have been asking me to teach them how to crochet granny squares. I always help people learn, but then I confiscate their square so I can add it to the afghan...one less square for me to crochet! Thanks, students for helping me out!
A few family members and several friends are expecting babies in the next year. I've been on a baby hat, sweater, poncho and bib making jag lately too. I took a tip from Drew and purchased one of those Leisure Arts Booklets by Terry Kimbrough and whipped up a little cornflower yellow baby afghan. Once I deciphered the directions, it was fairly easy to crochet. I used Red Heart (washable) acrylic, with a little bit of some multi-colored stash yarn as an accent for this piece. This was a fun project because it held my interest, due to the challenging combination of stitches. I do wish the pattern had been charted and photographed better, so I could actually SEE the stitches used. Take note pattern writers out there! I'll probably try a few other patterns in this book too. I think that some of these lacy stitches would make great sweaters for our mild California weather!

Hope to see most of you at the WeHo SnB tonight at the Farmers Market!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:21 PM PDT, Blogger Bri Ana said...

I'm so impressed.

Good call on the alternating rows.

*BIG kisses.*
briana

 
At 4:49 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,

Have you ever thought about using white or off-white as the joining color for your squares? This makes a nice summery afghan.

Yu sure made the squares small...only 4 rounds each! Your boss is very lucky that you are doing so much work on this afghan!

Take care.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 5:39 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I think you hit on the reason I *hate* granny squares - I *love* the way they look, but I hate constantly changing the colors! I also don't like joining them together b/c I feel like I'm not doing it correctly. Maybe I'll just commission you to do it for me. :)

 
At 9:57 AM PDT, Blogger Dianne said...

This is coming along nicely! My mom made one about 52 yrs ago when she was expecting my older brother. It's been through a 'war zone'-4 kids and pets and I think some of it's still left. ; )
I think Granny's are timeless.

 
At 10:26 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, this afghan is so beautiful I want to cry. I love it!

 
At 10:35 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! Yes, the granny square afghan is a timeless classic and always in style!

 
At 7:42 AM PDT, Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

Both blankets look fantastic!! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery