Monday, February 12, 2007

Will's Ranch

Ellen (wearing newly crocheted sweater) @ Will's Ranch

On Sunday we visited Will Rogers State Historic Park in Pacific Palisades. This was a special volunteer appreciation party hosted by the L.A. Conservancy. Although I'm not an active volunteer, Mr. Larry certainly is! He photographs most of the Conservancy's events, as well as taking pictures for their tour brochures.
The Barn @ Will Rogers State Historic Park

I hadn't been to Will's ranch in about 5 years. The grounds are spectacular, encompassing polo fields, horse stables, the ranch house, hiking and riding trails along with marvelous views of the Santa Monica Bay and beyond. I remember visiting here when I was a kid, and continued visiting throughout the years for various events....to view polo games, picnic, hike, etc.
Nancy & Will's Pick-Up Truck

Larry, Lunching in the Barn

On a beautiful, breezy Sunday, we trudged up to the barn (which no longer houses horses) for lunch, hospitality and a few words about this historic site. After the speeches, we were taken on a short tour of the ranch house. There are tons of artifacts from Will Rogers' varied career in the house. Most of the furnishings are original. It's a large house, but very comfortable. Yes...I could totally see us living here....sigh.
Some People Dressed for the Occasion

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:49 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to visit here all the time when the children were little.(it's a great place for kids to run around). We would do the hike up the hillside to the tippy-top.

Once we ran into Helen Gurley Brown and her husband (I forget his name, but I think he was a movie producer) on our way down the trail. They looked exhausted, and she imploringly questioned us "is it much further to the top???". Guess the Cosmo girl just wasn't in hiking shape!

They used to have polo matches on the weekends; that was lots of fun to watch.

 
At 4:20 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I can't wait to see the refurbished house, I love it there. I thought I knew every inch of that place but I don't remember the barn at all. I'm thrilled to discover this blog which I linked to from "Citizen of the Month" I'm also a Farmers Market regular and I can't wait to try some of the recommendations on your restaurant blog including Chabelita's which is literally one block from my house in West Adams.

 
At 4:44 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I was there once, about a million years ago. I don't suppose you noticed any handsome, virile young men running around, playing ultimate frisbee, did you?

 
At 5:12 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

Love how your collar turned out! Fabu.

Hey, I spy some cute crocheted handbagness, do I not? I don't think I've seen that one finished.

 
At 10:36 PM PST, Blogger mj said...

You know, I've never been to the Will Rogers park. A horrible oversight, but I guess that's what you get growing up in Compton. It sounds like fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery