Saturday, July 07, 2007

Madgik Toes

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Our Toe-Up Baby Sock Samples
I will forever associate knitting toe-up socks with my new BFF, Madge!
Yesterday was one big adventure. I drove over to Madgik's house in the northern regions of Glendale and she introduced me to the world of Ravelry. I was skeptical at first about this new online community, but now I can see the advantages. Check it out and get on the waiting list....it is addicting, amazing and surprisingly helpful if you're a yarn-a-holic like I am.
Madge and I started our journey at Fish King on Glendale Ave. I have an upcoming event and I always order my party fish at Fish King. This is a great fish market, gourmet shop and lunch place. We had to have a small bowl of their clam chowder...excellent and chock full o' clams.
We motored over to Burbank for the next leg of our adventure. We dropped our knit bags at Unwind on Hollywood Way where we were scheduled to take Cookie A's Toe-Up Sock Knitting class. We walked up the block to the most gorgeous bakery in Burbank, the new and improved branch of Porto's. We met up with Barbara for a Cuban sandwich and libation before our sock class. I've written about Porto's before. The place is gorgeous, well-run and has fantastic food and pastries. We each had a sandwich, then shared a slice of strawberry shortcake. Double yum.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Our toe-down sock class at Unwind with Cookie A. was excellent. Our goal was to finish a small baby socklet.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sock Guru, Cookie A.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I learned new casting on and casting off techniques. I found out about the joys of knitting toe-up socks to avoid the kitchener stitch. There were at least 10 women in the class. Everyone was attentive and eager to learn this method.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Knitting Tiny Socks Can Drive You Insane
I've never been that crazed about knitting socks like the rest of the knitting community. I came to understand what all the fuss was about. OK, the sock yarn available today is gorgeous and alluring, socks are small and easy to transport while knitting, they make great gifts. I've made 1-1/2 pairs of socks. It's difficult for me to stay focused after knitting one sock, but I was willing to learn about this different method to hopefully inspire me to sock-knit again. I'm not quite hooked yet, but I will definitely practice Cookie's method and make another pair of baby socks to see if I can perfect my technique.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
If Lillian's Dog Can Knit Socks, Than I Can Too!

After our exhausting class, it was uplifting to see Madgik's husband, Tom walk in. There's
nothing more attractive than a handsome man surrounded by yarn!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 11:50 AM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

What an incredible day!! I love that picture of you and Madge - candid and fun!

 
At 12:40 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

What a great Friday! I'm jealous about the seafood, cuban sandwich, dessert, Cookie and knitting, but I'll get my turn at tomorrow's class. Love the pics of you both and of Tom.

 
At 1:17 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo Lah Lah...that Tom is cute!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 2:03 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Smoochies to my BFF!!! OMG, are we demented or what?

So much fun crammed into one day - I'm still recovering.

Plus, we made socks. Hoo yeah. Must admit I admired mine in all its wonky glory this morning. How about you?

xox

 
At 2:08 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

Looks like I missed the fun! My cousin decided to get engaged, and the class and the party conflicted. Oh well, I got in the sunday class!

 
At 10:53 AM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

Looks like a great day! And I gotta agree about that Tom--a handsome man always looks best surrounded by yarn!

 
At 12:17 PM PDT, Blogger BellaKarma said...

Great photos, fun post! Love all the links! I am living vicariously through your blog until the day I can move from the O.C. to the L.A.(or Europe, whichever opportunity presents itself first). ;)

 
At 7:27 PM PDT, Blogger Monique Marie Sauniere said...

Muhhhaahhaahaa!!! Sock knitting is addictive. Take it from one who knows!

 
At 11:53 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

Lunch at Porto's?? And knitting?? What did I miss?? Those socks are soooo cute. I'm going to grill Madge when I see her on the technique.

 
At 10:10 AM PDT, Blogger Jenn said...

What fun! I love knitting little socks. I have a lot less trouble finishing the second one when they are so little. Your little ones look great!

 
At 10:35 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

You have fast become the first blog I check. I love that you love L.A. and your pictures make me so homesick but in a good way.

Thanks for sharing!
MX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery