Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thrift Shop Art

It's no secret that Mr. Larry and I haunt thrift shops, estate and yard sales quite a bit. We both have our preferred items to shop for. I always look for items related to knitting and crochet; costume jewelry; handbags; scarves and hankies; etc. Larry looks for all items related to photography; records; books on UFO's; old L.A. postcards; painted portraits and paint-by-numbers. We've amassed quite a collection of paintings. Often called Found Art or Trashed Treasures, these are works discovered by the people, for the people. This is a very popular form of collection in the postmodernist art world. Today, art lovers seek out found-art masterpieces for their primitive honesty, poetic forgottenness -- and low price.
Part of Larry's collection is onview in my office this month. I'm the curator of the HBO Art Gallery. We change the exhibits monthly. Since February is a short month, I decided to sneak in this fun show. The artwork on view this month is quite a departure from our regular exhibits. Past artists have included Joan Tucker, Kate Moriarty, Toby Corbett, Kathryn Jacobi, Paul Garvey and more. I've helped put a puzzled look on many of my co-worker's faces by hanging these paintings. Hey! Art is art! Have you collected any thrift-shop art?

Paint-By-Numbers Landscapes

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12:00 PM PST, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

The clown looks like Kevin Spacey. I purchased art from a yardsale once. It was a baby picture with Cedric the Entertainers head photoshopped on. Irresistable.

 
At 12:26 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

That clown scares me. Seriously.

 
At 3:37 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

I didn't know you were a curator! That's so cool. I'm loving this art for the people. It's stuff I can understand!

 
At 1:03 PM PST, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

Dude...I wonder if you can still get those paint by number kits from back in the day? I'd totally rock those!

 
At 9:06 PM PST, Anonymous stella the teacher said...

I love making art using ordinary school supplies and I can so relate to this post. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery