Thursday, April 03, 2008

Galco's Soda Pop Stop

Last weekend, during our excursion to Highland Park, Rhoda expressed a desire to stop at Galco's Soda Pop Stop on York Blvd. She had recently seen the store highlighted on Huell Howser's "Visiting" on public TV station, KCET. I knew we were in for a crowd when she told me she'd just seen the show on KCET. Everytime they re-run an episode of "Visiting," the next day, the location publicized on the show is always jammed. The power of Huell is colossal.
We found a parking space at the far end of the lot. As I suspected, people were standing in line to pay for their unusual soda and candy choices at the two registers. The aisles of this vintage grocery store were jammed. Galco's sells soda pop from around the world, wine, beer and retro candy bars. There is a deli counter at the back where you can order a sandwich. We saw soda from all over the country, Mexico and beyond. I hadn't had a Peach Nesbit's since childhood. Of course I bought a few bottles. All of the store employees were running around like mad, trying to fill the shelves as the crowd emptied them into their shopping carts. It was a frenzied scene. Rhoda stocked up on cucumber soda, some old-time candy bars and some egg creams for the family.
Highland Park is just a wonderland of things to do! After our soda-pop-stop, we drove west to Eagle Rock for lunch at the Oinkster. Photos to follow.
Galco's Soda Pop Stop
5702 York Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90042 (Highland Park)

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 12:16 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

Did the Peach Nesbit's taste like your remembered? I'm wondering if it's the real deal, or like stuff you get at an outlet mall sometimes -- made just for the store.

 
At 1:24 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place is so terrific. I love all the candy choices. And the pop is the kind made with SUGAR!! What a concept.

Christine G.

 
At 1:56 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That 1920s Hershey wrapper is adorable. Even though I can't eat the chocolate, I may have to swing by and get one of those next time I'm in the old 'hood.

 
At 2:14 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Yes, Carla...the Peach Nesbitt's tasted great! I was at the Original Farmers Market last night and noticed that you can get Peach Nesbitt at the soda place at the foot of the stairs. I'll get you one the next time you grace us with your presence at the WeHo SnB!

 
At 6:10 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

I have never had a Peach Nesbitt. Never even heard of it. I want to go on a field trip to Galco's. What fun!!!

 
At 10:49 PM PDT, Blogger KnittingBlueContent said...

OMG! I watch Huell Howser every chance I get. His interviews and finds are so interesting.

You should be his understudy, woman. One day he'll want to move on and you are absolutely perfect as his replacement. Who else loves this Kooky Crazy state more and who else gets the rest of us to see things from your fresh perspective?

YOU.

That's who.

 
At 7:17 AM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

I Love Galco's, You can get Moxie there! And Chili Beer....I haven't been since I lived in Silver Lake. I love that place...I remember buying some stuff called Lennin-ade...it had a hammer and sickle on it. Weird Soda is afoot. And I also love the Oinkster. We're going to a swap meet in Eaglerock on Saturday adn I'm gonna try and talk everyone into hitting the Oinkster. Though i miss the Cruise night the burger stand that the Onikster used to be had. Oh well looks like you had fun! Enjoy your exotic sodas!

 
At 3:25 PM PDT, Blogger jenna! said...

I LOVED the cucumber soda and you can only get it Galco's! I might need to run back and get a six pack. Though, I have to admit, I haven't finished the soda and cider I bought there a few months ago.

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery