Friday, May 23, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

This is the holiday weekend when Larry and I lay in a supply of groceries and stay close to home. The roads are usually full of traffic, all of the entertainment spots around L.A. are jammed and most restaurants are busy too. It's the first weekend of summer but you wouldn't guess it from the crazy weather we've been having. Last weekend it was 100 degrees in parts of L.A. This weekend it's cloudy, windy, cold and raining. There are spots in the nearby mountains that had snow yesterday! There was a tornado in Riverside! It's the apocalypse, fer shure.
Due to our pending home construction project, we'll be cleaning out and clearing out this weekend. I have much yarn stash organization to accomplish. I want to tackle my closets too. Maybe I'll even get to clearing out old kitchen stuff.
Current Yarn Bargains to Organize

In preparation of Spring cleaning, I've been going through some old photo albums and came across many pix from my years as a camper and counselor at Idyllwild School of Music and Arts up in the San Jacinto mountains, above Palm Springs. I spent at least a few weeks every summer from the time I was about 14 until I was 20 in Idyllwild. For a few years, when I was a counselor, I spent the entire summer up there. I was a student in the art/painting/drawing/pottery program. Many of my friends were in the various music programs. I've recently re-connected with some old pals from those days. We're hoping to meet up sometime in the Fall. I have to say, the best summers of my life were spent up on The Hill.

Ellen @ 16 & Leslie Green. catching up on news from home @ ISOMATA Snackbar (notice my clay tools in jar on the table)

Ellen @ 17, Sketching @ The Grotto in Idyllwild

Have a marvelous Memorial Day weekend everyone!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 12:59 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Ellen! You were artsy even when you were a teenager! You look very sophisticated in your big sunglasses and white car-coat!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 1:04 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

You totally were/are the kinda girl I wanted to be - uber cool and artsy and stuff. Wah.

Hey, when you're done cleaning out and organizing your stuff, ya wanna come over and do the same for me? I'm SLEEPING this weekend!

 
At 1:44 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

I, too, was impressed with the sunglasses and car-coat look. Way more stylish than any 16 year olds I knew!

 
At 5:15 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

Judy took the words out of my mouth!

So young, so artsy!

 
At 7:30 AM PDT, Blogger Stephknits3 said...

Happy 3 day weekend to you too Ellen!

 
At 7:51 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

Have a great weekend!

 
At 11:48 AM PDT, Blogger mj said...

Loved the photos. My photos at 17 were pretty nerdy and won't be appearing in my blog.
Hope your weekend is terrific.

 
At 1:08 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Ellen you were born cool! It is so cool that you were a camp counselor in Idyllwyld. For the last couple of years I have been thinking about going to art camp for a week. And here you did it your whole teen life. Man, that is awesome.

 
At 12:19 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

Art and style are in your blood! I love the photo of you drawing and want to know what masterpiece you created.

 
At 6:32 AM PST, Anonymous Wrong Island Surf said...

Love the teen photos, you look so chic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery