Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Decorating With Yarn

Other bloggers have written about this phenomenon (here, here and here), but I thought it was worth mentioning again. In my local Starbucks and in Starbucks Coffee Houses across the nation, yarn has taken over. The company issued a darling cable-knit mug this year. I've been to many shops to gather these as gifts for all my yarny friends. They have continued in the yarny theme by decorating their establishments with wreaths made from yarn balls! Brilliant, gorgeous and sexy!!!
Upon scrutinization, I can see that the yarn ornaments are styrofoam balls with only a couple of layers of yarn. Otherwise, I might have been tempted to stow a few of these yarny treasures in my totebag while strolling thru the shop! So, even though many Local Yarn Shops across the country have been suffering and closing their doors, yarn has reached corporate America as a symbol of cozy coffee breaks with your yarny friends and family. This reminds me to shun corporations and support my local yarn shop (also to quit wasting my money on chai tea lattes and make my own). Get over to your little corner yarn shop now! There's probably a year-end sale. Of course, ordering online is fast and easy, but there's nothing like petting, sniffing and squeezing the yarn in person. Yeah....brilliant, gorgeous and sexy!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 10:15 AM PST, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

You know I did not even notice until you mentioned it. Yes Starbuck's is decorating their stores with Yarn!

As you say I have cut way back on my Starbuck's addiction:
Tall, soy, "Caramel Macchiato" $3.55

A few of those a week and I could buy a nice hank of yarn!

 
At 10:17 AM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Couldn't agree with you more- it's both annoying & charming at the same time that St*rbucks is using these yarn decorations. Way to woo us.

 
At 12:11 PM PST, Blogger Darci said...

I am so making that wreath next year. I asked the staff at my local S what they are doing with the decorations when the season is over...she wasn't certain and told me to check back in next week.

 
At 1:09 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

Wow, those are great! Thanks for sharing - I usually poke my head in a Starbucks when I'm on the mainland but wasn't over at all during the holidays.

I love Darci's idea of making a wreath like that next year but she's also right - it's worth asking your local Starbucks if you can have the decorations when the season is over. One of the higher-end restaurants here has lovely holiday garlands that came from a large mainland department store that was going to get rid of them! Such a waste!

 
At 4:44 PM PST, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

In case anyone is still looking for the adorable cable knit mugs, the Starbucks at Wilshire and Union (downtown adjacent) has 9 on the shelf. Yes, I counted them.

 
At 4:53 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally noticed and love the yarn decorations at Starbucks! Hadn't seen the mug, though.

I have a theory that Starbucks is slowly trying to discourage - And rapidly discourage in the newer shops that are all windows - the laptop coffee shop patron. Perhaps this is their way to subtlety attract knitters?

 
At 6:09 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed the crafty gift card holder, the one with the peace dove applique. It's so cute, and so crafty. Oh, that Starbucks!

Christine G.

 
At 8:31 PM PST, Blogger Annette said...

I noticed and I want that wreath! I'm going to go to this week and cross my fingers that they'll be selling their decorations.

 
At 9:21 PM PST, Blogger Christy T said...

I got one of those for my house :P

A friend works at a local starbucks and asked if I wanted one before they threw them out... Of course, I said, "Yes!!!"

 
At 11:57 AM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Yarny goodness. It's so festive. Balls of yarn are the perfect ornaments.

 
At 1:19 PM PST, Blogger Leah said...

When I was a knitster on Knitty Gritty, the balls of yarn in the basket on the table were like starbucks - styrofoam wrapped with yarn.

Makes sense to me, since no one is actually going to knit with them.

though Starbucks could have had a great marketing campaign for after the holidays - get a real ball of yarn when you buy your fix'o'Joe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery