Friday, December 05, 2008

Great Pattern!

Navy Blue Chevron Lace Cardigan
(photo tip from Crazy Auntie...photograph yourself in your workplace ladies restroom for best results)

I've been a fan of Ravelry for a long time. It's the BEST resource for free patterns, knit and crochet tips and techniques, yarn sales, etc. I keep up with all of my international yarny friends thru Ravelry too. It's amazing to think that I have "friends" in the U.K., Czech Republic, Brazil as well as all over the U.S.! If you're not a member of Ravelry, join now!
Last week, "milobo" posted this great pattern for a top-down crocheted Chevron Lace Cardigan. Milobo or Michelle is from the U.K. and always seems to be experimenting with wonderful seamless crochet patterns. She has a few posted on Ravelry that many people have made. The Chevron Lace Cardigan really caught my eye, so I secretly started crocheting it during Thanksgiving vacation. I needed a plain navy blue sweater to go with jeans and I happened to have a few skeins of Caron's Simply Soft in my stash. Perfect! I wasn't investing a lot of money into a pattern I wasn't sure about, so I forged ahead. To my surprise, this pattern was very simple and fast for me. I finished it in about 3 days. I added a collar to Michelle's pattern and expanded on the button band.
I really like this sweater. I've worn it a few times and have received many compliments. I'm so crazy about this pattern, that I enlarged the pattern repeat (so the button band won't be so wide) and I started crocheting it with that Cascade 220 in rust that I picked up on sale last week. I'm not going to add a collar to this sweater, however I did add two more single crochet rows at the neck edge. I'm using a size "K" crochet hook.


Last night at the WeHo SnB, Natalie received a yarn spinning lesson from Regina, while Jenna coached from the sidelines.
Natalie, Jenna, Regina

Natalie is a natural. She was spinning away on her little spindle and ended up with some lovely yarn. You can see in the photo below that she's really concentrating and that her hands are whirling away!

We had a record-breaking crowd at the WeHo SnB last night, upstairs at the Original Farmers Market, 3rd and Fairfax. There must have been about 30 of us! Maybe we should plan some sort of Holiday party? Whaddya say, WeHo SnBr's? Since we won't be meeting on December 25th, maybe we should bring some treats to share on Thursday December 18th. Wear your Santa and/or elf hat!

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 12:33 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right about this pattern. You can really do a lot to make several different looks. There's actually a knit version too: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/liesl

Lots of ideas here. Once the great-white-sweater is done, I might have to start on this.

 
At 1:15 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please explain how you made your version! I love it...and want to make one too!

Love,
Christine G.

 
At 3:02 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,

This pattern looks great. I'm going to start it this weekend! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 3:04 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Christine,

Really, I just followed Michelle's pattern. I added the collar and the wide button band after I finished the sweater. Then, I crocheted a row of single crochet stitches around the ENTIRE sweater to finish it off.

For the next version, I added 12 stitches to the original chain of 68 (=80) to make a wider sweater.

 
At 3:21 PM PST, Blogger LizKnits said...

Love that sweater... very cute! And three days... you're a speed deamon!

 
At 5:03 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

Great sweater - stylish and totally practical too! Must go check out the knit version that Lauren mentioned.!

 
At 7:14 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Your sweater turned out super good.

I love the photo with my tongue sticking out. I really was concentrating.

 
At 3:58 PM PST, Blogger Two-of-Six said...

Fabulous sweater! I'm going to have to add this one on the to-do list.

 
At 4:18 PM PST, Blogger jillian said...

Your new cardi looks fabulous on you!

 
At 7:25 PM PST, Blogger StitchLuva and Yarn said...

wow, your sweater looks great. i have that on my to cro list now i think i will bump it up to the top of the list.

ps. you always seem to have such a good time. i just love your blog!

 
At 4:29 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great. And done so fast!

 
At 2:28 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

Ellen I love this sweater! The color is outside our usual palate, lol, and really refreshing as a result. Fab work!

 
At 2:29 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

Er, that should be "palette." I was dazzled into poor spelling. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery