Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Home Decor Research

Now that our construction project is almost completed, we've been concentrating on research. Larry will be outfitting our new closets. So over the weekend we went to California Closets; Bed Bath & Beyond; Lowe's and Home Depot. Naturally, California Closets has the MOST BEAUTIFUL closet organization systems with the highest prices. The other places are all fairly competitive. Larry likes the hardware at Bed Bath & Beyond and the drawer units from Home Depot. He can easily cut shelves to fit. So, he'll be utilizing a combination of supplies for our closets. Hopefully, this can be accomplished within the next few weeks.

The decorating of a new room is the most exciting and fun part. I've been thinking about design. The room is very modern with a slanted, high ceiling. Both Larry and I admire clean, simple lines in furniture and design. I'm trying to stay with a neutral color scheme. The bathroom tile is light gray, slate gray, black and white. The laundry room is black, white with dark gray appliances. Our paint color is off-white with a gray-tinge. I'd like to use a stark Marimekko black and white fabric from the window coverings and the bedspread. Then, I can change up my accent colors for each season. Summertime is perfect for citrus colors. Fall...my fave oranges, reds and earthtones.

Poppa Bear Chair

I shopped a bit for an armchair for bedroom. I'd love to be able to spend $2,500 for the Poppa Bear Chair at Modernica, but I'll probably end up with something from Plummer's or a vintage piece that I can recover.
Copy of the Eames Chair & Ottoman

Oh! The decisions!!!

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 2:58 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen! That Poppa Bear chair is amazing. Spending $2,500 for a chair is kind of expensive, though. I'll bet you can find something at a second-hand store and have it recovered. Keep looking!

Jane
Mar Vista

 
At 3:51 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

Love the bold black and white prints! Have you ever checked out EQ3? (eq3.com) I bought some chairs (including a chaise)from them recently. They have modern designs that are are reasonably priced. I think there's a store in So-Cal.

 
At 6:21 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

The pappa bear chair is totally cute, but I wonder how comfortable it is for a long period of time? I find Joe's Eames chair totally uncomfortable. It doesn't fit my body well. When you find a chair give it a real good sit. No doubt you will find a fab chair at an estate sale.

 
At 7:48 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

The Poppa Bear Chair looks like a great knitting chair, I like the wide arms I'll bet it would be handy for winding yarn, add a comfy down pillow - ahhh. Yard sales (in the right neighborhood) are a great place to find bargains, especially if you can recover the furntiure yourself, the you can splurge on the fabric.

 
At 9:52 PM PDT, Anonymous Paper Dolls for Boys said...

That Poppa Bear Chair is super cool but day-um, that's alot of porridge to get one!
Cheers,
Tracey

 
At 8:36 AM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

Now the fun part begins! The Poppa Bear Chair is beautiful, but $2,500. is a little steep. I agree with everyone - keep looking at yard sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army - you never know what you'll find. Even if you find a chair with crummy fabric, as long as it has good bones you can always have it recovered. It's surprising what's out there. Good luck! Keep us posted.

 
At 9:33 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Poppa Bear chair? I found an original one in the trash years ago in Echo Park, in a lovely shade of blue, with the upholstery in really good condition. Sadly, after several months of coexisting with cats, the upholstery completely disintegrated and back to the trash it went. Easy come, easy go.

 
At 9:43 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

LOVE that poppa bear chair! Don't forget craigslist. I've found some amazing deals there (among the boatloads of crap). {{so jealous}}

 
At 11:50 AM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Ooh, you're in the fun stage. Can't wait to see upon what you decide and do!

P.S. I'm all for the Eames chair. So comfy. (it's the next piece of furniture I want to buy Tom)

 
At 2:41 AM PDT, Anonymous Ella said...

That Poppa Bear chair is super cute and sooo stylish. Decorating a new room is really the most exciting and a fun part

 
At 4:25 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

You can also find such unique home decor items at Ballard Designs. I would wait for a sale event, as they are having one frequently nowadays.

 
At 10:10 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Second hand stores are usually the best to find unique home decor, and for a cheap price. Often times you have to recover them, but that gives you the opportunity to make it fit your tastes.

 
At 11:08 PM PDT, Anonymous Bonnie said...

Where did you find the 3rd fabric down in the 3rd picture? I've been looking online for something like that but I don't think they put the full collection online. We live in a small town and have to drive a half hour to an hour just to get stuff like this. Thanks.

 
At 7:42 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Bonnie,
I live in Los Angeles, a mecca for designers and stylists. I probably too the photo of the fabric at Michael Levine's Fabric store in L.A.'s downtown Fashion District.

 
At 7:42 AM PDT, Anonymous chandelier said...

Thank you for this nice sharing. Great post.

 
At 6:37 AM PDT, Blogger Stair Nosing said...

hi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery