Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Joshua Tree Get-Away

Beautiful Joshua Tree, California

We zoomed out to the high desert this morning for a quick get-away. It's gorgeous here. On the way, we saw a car fire in Redlands.
We stopped at the Antique Mall in Beaumont and saw some very cool stuff. I've cured myself of buying every kitschy item I come across. Instead, I just photograph it!

these owls are absolutely fab! I might have to go back and rescue them!

The Ham-Burglar and Ronald

We had lunch at Gramma's Country Kitchen in Banning. It's just tooooooo cute inside, but the food is good.

We spotted a little yarn shop, the Knitting Nook, in Banning that I'd never been to, so we stopped. Connie gave us the full tour. Naturally, I purchased some souvenir yarn, which does not count as stash enhancement because it was purchased while traveling!

Connie @ The Knitting Nook
Yucca Valley has some pretty good antique shops. I managed to purchase only one item, a1970's California/USA pottery egg dish in a lovely shade of olive-green. It's pristine!Looking forward to dinner at the historic 29 Palms Inn and enjoying beautiful Joshua Tree National Park tomorrow!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 7:43 PM PST, Blogger joyceetta said...

Ellen
Glad to hear that the yarn purchased while traveling doesn't count as stash enhancement! Haven't heard that one before. This is the first time I've posted to your blog. I'm a long time lurker. Love the egg plate!

 
At 7:53 PM PST, Blogger Lynda said...

I am also a long time reader, first time commenter (I'm pretty sure!)

I love your wonderful finds, and the great peep that you give us into your amazing part of the world.

I also very much appreciate your theory on wool stash...as I prepare for tomorrow, planning to leave work at EXACTLY 5 pm, in order to get to my favourite wool shop before its sale ends at 6 pm!!! (It takes about 45 minutes of driving...but I need to indulge my Noro love).

Thanks again, Ellen - hugely appreciated.

From Lynda (Victoria, Australia)

 
At 8:58 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

joyceett and Lynda! Thanks so much for the blog comments! I do appreciate it when lurkers come forward!

 
At 9:29 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Have fun- the high desert looks wonderful.

 
At 10:20 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen we are so on the same wavelength. Gramma's Kitchen is the place MG and I usually stop on our dessert trips. You can't beat the down home ambience.

Beautiful time of year to be in the dessert. Have fun!

Christine G.

 
At 9:17 AM PST, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

How did you resist the mushrooms??? Man, I love me some 70's kitsch. The egg dish was quite a find.

Connie's shop is adorable. Why not have a china cabinet filled with yarn?

 
At 1:49 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG.My mom collected those mushrooms.

 
At 4:45 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

Oh it looks so beautiful there - perfect dessert weather!

I too love the yarn logic. You see though, at some point you will turn all of your stash in to some wondeful fiber item (unlike yours truely). I did knit a whopping 7 rows last night (each row was about 40 stitches). That is progress.

Also love your deviled egg dish. I know that you will use that for one of your many luncheons or dinners.

Enjoy the day tomorrow and thanks for sharing.

 
At 7:43 PM PST, Blogger Leah said...

I want the owls, that is if Natalie doesn't get to them first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery