Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Wrist-O-Rama-A-Go-Go

I've made my share of wrist warmers in the past...mostly knitted ones.  I needed a quickie gift for my friend Shayne, so I decided to work out a crocheted version of the Wristys. Shayne is visiting from New Mexico and we had lunch today.
I remembered reading somewhere about the multitude of items that can be made out of granny squares.  They're just squares that can be turned into almost anything, like coasters, place mats, afghans (of course), pillow covers, bags, rugs, shawls, scarves, eyeglass cases, etc., etc.  So, why couldn't I fashion a pair of Wristys out of a granny square?  That's just what I did!  I've always said that granny squares are the building blocks to fashion.


I made a 9-round granny square using a size "G" hook and Caron Simply Soft in Shayne's favorite peachy color, Persimmon.  I folded the square in half.  Joined the top half, left room for a thumb.  Added a 3-row gusset at the bottom of the Wristy in half-double crochet, joined the edges.  I crocheted a bit of a thumb, then added a bottom picot border for a girly look.  Voila!  The Granny Square Wristy, less than 2 hours to complete!
I will be refining this pattern and adding some fancy bits for the future.  

Shayne brought me my very own bag of her homemade Mandel Bread!!!  I could not ask for a better trade.  Thanks, Girlfriend!

Here's Shayne's recipe:  
My very own bag o' Mandel from Shaynelynn!

Shayne’s Mandelbread (Mandelbroit)

3/4    Cup    oil (I use corn oil)
1       Cup     sugar
3        eggs
1        tsp    baking powder
1        pinch   baking soda
1        Teaspoon  vanilla or almond extract
3        Cups    flour
6        oz.    chocolate chips/nuts/etc
Cinnamon and sugar mixture to sprinkle
 

Mix oil, sugar and eggs.  Add powder, soda and vanilla extract.  Add flour half at a time, mixing thoroughly in between.  Fold in chips/nuts by hand.  Cover with Saran wrap, making sure that it is touching the dough and refrigerate for at least a few hours.
On floured surface, roll dough into logs.  (I use half the dough for each log).  Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mix.  Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until outside is light golden brown.
Take out of oven, cut into slices, about 1/4” thick and put back in turned off oven for several hours or overnight. 

Enjoy!  During Christmas I use the candied fruit that they use to make fruitcakes for a festive look!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery