Thursday, June 05, 2014

Crochet for the Home

Our color palette has changed in our living and dining rooms.  Time for some new pillows, afghans and more.  I like to use crochet and knitted items sparingly in the front rooms of our home though.  I want to stay away from the cozy, frilly, old-fashioned look of crochet in our modern design.  Yarn is a cozy medium, so it's a challenge to keep yarny items looking fresh and modern.  THIS  living room is not what I'm going for!
I recently crocheted a small throw pillow and covered a 3-legged phone stool in simple designs.



I'm hoping to add some more nubby textural items to the mix!
I've been perusing patterns on Ravelry for some ideas.  There are many modern afghan designs available:

Modern Colorblock Blanket
Mondrian Blanket

I would like to utilize these color block methods to make an ottoman cover, similar to the one that Elizabeth Cat made, below.  However, I will not be making typical, multi-color granny squares for this cover.  Check out Elizabeth Cat's Flickr page.  She's amazing!

Elizabeth Cat's Hassock Cover

As you can see, I copied Elizabeth Cat's granny design to make a throw pillow for our older sofa (now relegated to the guest room).
Ellen's Throw Pillow for the old sofa

I really like the design below for a modern throw pillow.  Next!
Mod Striped Pillows

More possible places to use crochet would be the on dining room chair cushions, curtains, tablecloths, area rugs!  The possibilities are endless!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:50 AM PDT, Blogger Diane said...

Well we (out in the blogosphere) think YOU are amazing!

 
At 10:54 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Wow, Diane! Thank you so much! I only show the good stuff on my blog. Next to my new, perfect crocheted pillow is a coffee table piled high with yarn scraps, papers, dirty coffee cups and such! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery