Monday, June 09, 2014

Station to Station

Union Station, Los Angeles

We had an adventure on Saturday.  It was my Mother's birthday and she had never been on the L.A. Metro.  We drove to the beautiful Union Station and climbed on the Gold Line going toward Pasadena.  This is my favorite route.  I love how the train flies up out of the tunnel, approaching the Chinatown elevated stop.  After riding through Chinatown, Cypress, Highland Park and South Pasadena, we reached the Del Mar stop in Pasadena and disembarked.


Our adventure got a bit harrowing as we got off the train.  The Metro Cop stopped us to read our Tap Cards to see that we had paid for our train ride.  Apparently, we tapped our cards inaccurately.  We received a big lecture about having to pay a $75 fine!  Oh no!  Larry started to get belligerent and snarky.  Luckily, Mom and I were apologetic (while I glared at Larry to shut up).  The Metro Cop gave us the benefit of the doubt, gave us a Tap lesson and we were on our way to dinner.  Phew!  Remember, "you go a mile with a smile."  It also helps to have a 92 year-old with you!
We proceeded across the tracks to the Del Mar station which houses La Grand Orange Cafe.  This is a beautiful building and former Santa Fe Depot, built in the Spanish Revival architectural style.  The renovation into a restaurant is beautifully done.

After all of that excitement, we settled into our booth and immediately ordered wine!  We started with the deviled egg appetizer.  Mom and Larry ordered the Del Mar Seafood Salad.  I ordered Swordfish Tacos.  Everything was delicious!  For dessert, we split the Chocolate Pave' cake, served with pistachio ice cream.





Luckily, our train ride back to Union Station was uneventful and speedy.
We had a wonderful birthday celebration!
Happy Birthday, Mom!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:42 PM PDT, Blogger Lenora said...

I can only hope that when I am 92 someone takes me on an adventure that ends with dessert!

 
At 10:00 AM PDT, Blogger jamie said...

What a wonderful day!

Reminds me of an adventure I had with my mother, when we went to the Santa Monica pier carousel.

 
At 12:35 PM PDT, Blogger RossK said...

'You can go a mile with a smile'.

Now that is news I, for one (just like Mr. Larry), can most certainly use!

Thanks.

.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery