Monday, September 29, 2014

The Music of the Canyon

 
Photo by Henry Diltz.  Barry McGuire.  I just might knit Larry a sweater like this and pair it with some flower-power jeans!

Last week, Larry and I visited The Grammy Museum, DTLA, especially to view the exhibit, "California Dreamin': The Sounds of Laurel Canyon, 1965-1977."  Of course, before we hit the second floor where this traveling exhibit was housed, we viewed a few other floors to soak up the grammy vibe.  We were especially enchanted by the "Blue Notes Records: The Finest in Jazz" exhibit.  The vintage Blue Note record cover art was fantastic.  Reid Miles designed most of the Blue Note covers in the 1950s and 1960s.  Knockout design!



The Laurel Canyon exhibit was good, mostly photographs by Henry Diltz, graphic timelines, advertisements of the various folk clubs in the L.A. area, short films, memorabilia, clothing and artifacts owned by some of the performers.
The original auto radiator bag for Jackson Browne's album


Timeline for the Laurel Canyon Music Days

 The clubs in West Hollywood associated with the Laurel Canyon Sound

I frequented the folk and roots club, The Ash Grove most often

This was MY era of music.  I was listening, buying and participating in the music of this time in Los Angeles.  My brother was actively involved in the folk and roots community and I was lucky enough to tag along and soak it up.  Later, when I was in high school, this folk-rock sound was in full force.


Photo by Henry Diltz.  Joni Mitchell.  Check out that cool knitted dress!

It was a very nostalgic exhibit.  I wanted more.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:55 PM PDT, Blogger StylinSteph said...

So cool! I want to go! You are always a tourist in your own city! I love that about you!

 
At 6:03 AM PDT, Blogger ken bloom said...

One place that was left out of the clubs near the Strip was the Fred C. Dobbs. It was a burger joint that had a great juke box. That's where I learned that great tune "I'm a Hog For You Baby". I used to go there with Pam Polland and few other folks and we'd put "Hog" on the juke box and leap around in fits of great Dionysian frenzy. The dulicmer that Joanie Mitchell is playing in your photo was built by my friend JoEllen Lapidus who still teaches dulcimer at McCabe's. The design was done by Laura Allen who was a very talented artist in many mediums. My friend Robbie Long also built dulcimers in this pattern and I still have the one he built for me oh those many years ago.

Ken

 
At 8:24 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I'd love that exhibit- Laurel Canyon musicians were my idea of what California was, growing up. (In a very romantic, unrealistic way). So fun to see this. I agree with the comment of how cool it is that you get out and see everything in your own city! (and share it with us)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery