Wednesday, September 17, 2014

From Sin to Virtue

 
The former Thriftown Market and Liquor Store


The traffic has been so awful in the morning, that I've altered my route to the Santa Monica Freeway for my drive to work.  Although we live close to the Fairfax Avenue on-ramp, I've found that it's easier to get on the freeway at La Cienega in the morning.  I like driving south on La Cienega.  The stores change all the time.
One building I've noticed in particular is the former Thriftown Market and Liquor Store at 2043 South La Cienega Blvd., almost across the street from Kaiser-Permanente Hospital.  When I was a child, my Dad's lumber yard and office was close by on Venice Boulevard.  Sometimes, when I was with my Dad at lunchtime, we would walk to the Thriftown Market.  Buddy's Delicatessan was housed just inside this little market.  Of course, I remember that the corned beef sandwiches were wonderful.  Kid-vision.  EVERYTHING was wonderful when I was young!
In later years this same location became the Thriftown Market and Liquor Store.  There was a questionable taco stand inside, where Buddy's used to be.
You can see that this building was originally built in the 1930s, Stream-line Moderne style.  This type of building was very popular in my neighborhood.  There was a building boom on the Westside in the late 1920s through the early 1940s. There are many little corner grocery stores that still have many of the same architectural characteristics.  Remember Balian's on Adams Boulevard or the Sun-Fax on Sunset and Fairfax?  Both locations are still markets.
The former Balian's Market, Adams Blvd., Los Angeles

The former Sun-Fax Market, Sunset & Fairfax (now Bristol Farms), Hollywood

As I was driving toward the freeway the other morning, I noticed that a gray front had been built over the existing Thriftown building.  This building, formerly a market, restaurant and liquor store is now becoming the Core Church!
Thriftown Market during transformation

Former Thriftown Market, So. La Cienega Blvd., L.A.

I do admire that the arrow sign, once pointing the way to alcohol, now points to Jesus, proving that a person or even a building can be transformed in Los Angeles.  From Sin to Virtue!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:06 AM PDT, Blogger ken bloom said...

Wow! Buddy's Delicatessen. I remember going there for lunch when ever I worked at the lumber yeard and ordering one and a half corned beef sandwich and a Pepsi from Alice, the waitress. She was Armenian and it was the first place I had heard about what happened to the Armenians during WWI. To this day, Buddy's corned beef is the standard against which all other corned beef sandwiches are measured. Thanks Ell, for reminding me of this!

Ken

 
At 6:53 AM PDT, Blogger RossK said...

Kid-Vision...

There's nothing like it!

.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery