Friday, September 05, 2014

Vintage Photo Friday - Sports Edition

Carol Heineman, Ellen, Beany Friedman, Larry Heineman and Mike Friedman
 
I was a tennis player in my youth.  I wasn't a champ, but I played a lot.  Living near Roxbury Park gave me constant access to public courts.  My Mother played tennis, so she wanted both my brother and I to have the experience.  We were given multiple lessons.  The lure of music lessons and bad eyesight led to my brother, Ken quitting tennis.  I kept on and played through my mid-30s.  It's a great game that can be played into old age.  I guess I should take it up again.  I believe I still have that wooden racquet (pictured above).  I hear that great strides have been made in racquet construction.  They no longer use laminated wood for the frame and cat-gut for strings.  Imagine that?
After tennis, I made a short foray into playing golf.  All of my friends at work played, so I joined in.
Yesterday, for Throw-back Thursday #tbt, I posted a photo on Facebook dated 1984 of The Linkettes.  My friends, Leah, Nancy, Jan and I were a frequent foursome at golf courses around the L.A. area at the time.  I worked at 20th-Century Fox and there was a golf group that held tournaments.  For a short time, 20th held a part ownership in Pebble Beach.  That was one of the most exciting golf weekends ever!  Our group got to play those famous links just before the Bing Crosby Open.  It was raining, but we didn't care.  
Other golf trips were made to Torrey Pines in San Diego and the one pictured below, Rio Bravo near Bakersfield.  Of course, we played many of the local courses too:  Rancho Park in WLA, all of the courses in Griffith Park, Whittier Narrows, the courses in Encino, Pasadena and beyond.  I must say, that just walking the course is like taking a vacation in the City.  Most golf courses are beautifully landscaped and serene.  It was a fun time in my life.  Once I left the Studio, many of my golf friends had drifted away.  My clubs and cleats are still in the garage, awaiting my retirement!
Leah, Nancy, Jan and Ellen. 1984, Rio Bravo Golf Resort, Bakersfield

Have a wonderful weekend!  Get out on the tennis court or the golf links!  It should be perfect weather in Los Angeles.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:08 PM PDT, Blogger New Low-Fat Milky Way said...

Hi Ellen! I came upon your blog through a link to it on a KPCC website comment. I have a question: did you once own a Fluke brand ukulele?

 
At 4:10 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi!
Yes, my first ukulele was a Fluke. I took lessons at McCabe's Guitar shop in Santa Monica.

Ellen B.

 
At 4:12 PM PDT, Blogger New Low-Fat Milky Way said...

How funny! I bought your old ukulele, it seems! I love the crocheted flower on the front.

 
At 4:12 PM PDT, Blogger New Low-Fat Milky Way said...

*the front of the case

 
At 4:16 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hah! That's so funny! Glad my crocheted flower, case and Fluke went to an appreciative person. The sound of the Fluke is very mellow and lovely. I upgraded a bit to an Ohana uke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery