Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Museum Monday


I decided to catch up on all the exhibits I'd missed over the holidays. We live very close to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, so I zoomed up there yesterday morning. The exhibit, "New Objectivity: Modern German Art in the Weimar Republic, 1919-1933" was closing yesterday, so I wanted to be sure and catch it. I'm very fond of the German Expressionism school of painting. The strong lines, emotional subjects and avant garde aspects draw me in. This was a particularly excellent exhibit, encompassing painting, drawing, literature, photography and film. You can read a bit about Germany between the wars here.
"The Yellow Boiler, " Carl Grossberg, 1933

"Dance in Baden Baden," Max Beckmann, 1933
"The Jeweler Karl Krall," Otto Dix,  1923
There were German documentary films showing daily life in the streets, along with the workings of factories and family life during this era too. It was truly fascinating!
Afterwards, I walked across the way to see the retrospective on architect, Frank Gehry. This exhibit runs through March 20th and is definitely worth seeing. The architectural models alone are impressive. 
Model of Frank Gehry's Home, Venice, CA
Model of Frank Gehry's design (red dot), among classic buildings in Prague
I also wanted to see "Living for the Moment: Japanese Prints from the Barbara S. Bowman Collection." I know Barbara Bowman. One of her daughters, Gayle is a longtime friend of mine. The collection is extremely impressive, consisting of woodblock prints from the golden age of printmaking in Japan. Artists include  Utagawa Hiroshige, Katsushika Hokusai and more.
Utagawa-Hiroshige, "Mount Fuji in the Morning," woodblock print
It was a good day at the Museum for me. I really should visit more often! There are film programs, musical performances as well as an excellent museum shop and legendary art collection.
Obligatory Selfie at LACMA, a "Study in Silver"

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery