Monday, January 08, 2018

Morning at the Museum


Ballet costumes by artist, Marc Chagall

Last Saturday I had a FREE DAY! I rarely have a Saturday where I don't have some sort of lesson or appointment scheduled. I decided to visit the L.A. County Museum of Art. We live down the street from the Museum, are members and don't visit nearly as often as we could! It was the last weekend of the Chagall: Fantasies for the Stage. I've always loved Chagall's artwork. 
I was pleasantly surprised by the fluidity and inventiveness for these ballet costumes. Most of the costumes were from the 1940's, except for the 1967 production of the "Magic Flute." 
Costumes for "The Magic Flute" by Chagall

I'm getting some excellent ideas for next year's Stitch 'n Witch costume extravaganza!


Another exhibit in the Resnick Pavillion at LACMA is "Found in Translation: Design in California and Mexico, 1915-1985.  This is part of the "Pacific Standard Time LA/LA," a city-wide exhibit discussing the collaboration and co-mingling of art from Los Angeles and Mexico. We are in very close proximity to Mexico (in fact California was part of Mexico in the past) and have been sharing artistic ideas for centuries! This is an excellent exhibit detailing all sorts of design movements in architecture, advertising, fashion, the applied arts and more.

Vintage travel poster by David Klein, showing Mexico's influence. Visit the San Juan Capistrano Mission!
Dishes by Mexican Modernist, Jose Pepe Mendoza, brass and malachite
Flossie doll, 1961 and Esmeralda doll, 1964 by Marilyn Neuhart, influenced by Mexican Folk Art
My beloved "Hollyhock" (cement and sand), designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for Aline Barnsdall's Hollyhock House at Banrsdall Art Park

This exhibit runs through April 2018. I urge you to see it. It's small, but packs a punch!
On my way out of the Museum, I passed by "Urban Light," the lamp post installation by Chris Burden. This is a genuine landmark in Los Angeles now. Of course, I had to take a photo of a girl posing in her quinceaƱera gown for photos!


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:02 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I'd love to see tha chagall costume exhibit. What an excellent museum field trip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery