Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Idyllwild, Day 2

The Road to ISOMATA

This morning I did a few errands in the Village...post office, drug store, etc. Then I packed up my knitting and drove over to the Idyllwild Arts Foundation Campus.

As mentioned in previous posts, I spent many happy summers as a camper and counselor here. I wanted to see how the campus had changed. When I was a student at ISOMATA, it was primarily a summer camp and was used as a retreat for USC faculty and educational groups during the winter. Now, it's a year-round campus.

Wow! I couldn't believe the changes! Instead of rickety lean-to studios, there were fully realized buildings on campus. There's a sound studio, photo lab, dance studios, a full dining hall and more. I saw many students toting their instruments, on their way to workshops. I visited my old haunt...the ceramics studio, while a class was in progress. The equipment was much improved. I did meet up with one or two old friends as I sat among the pines and knit a bit on my February Lady Sweater. It was a great day.

I came back to the Village later, rested a bit before going out to dinner at the Idyllwild Pizza Company and a meet-up with the Idyllwild SnB. Vanessa is the moderator of the Idyllwild SnB. She was so welcoming. The group is great. There were 6 of us there. Sometimes they have more, sometimes less, depending upon everyone's schedules. The ladies were either knitting or crocheting beautiful pieces! It was a very fun evening. I hope to visit again when I can.
Note to all knitters and crocheters: Look up the SnB group in the town where you plan to visit. Stitchers are great people and it's always fun to meet up with your fellow craftsters!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 6:08 AM PDT, Blogger Deb said...

I'm dswgr6 from Blog Train. I enjoyed reading your blogs - I checked out the restaurant reviews too. My son lives in LA and we just got back from a visit with him. I love visiting LA! It's so different from our small NH town. We've been to a few of the places you've reviewed too. We LOVE Versailles! We found the Omelette Parlor on Main St. in Ocean Park this trip - we usually stay in the Santa Monica area at the Travel Lodge across from McCabes Guitar shop. That was a great breakfast place!
Your vacation sounds really nice!

 
At 7:31 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Your trip sounds like so much fun. I have been pining for pine trees and that summer time dusty pine smell that reminds me of family camping trips.

 
At 9:06 AM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time Ellen. Just like woolanthropy, pine trees also remind me of family camping trips back in NZ when I was a kid. Oh.. the wonderful smell of pines in Summer. It takes me right back!

 
At 1:41 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Are you by yourself (i.e., sans Mr. Larry)?? That sounds *SO* perfect. No one to answer to but your own whims.

I like the knitting baby. Not sure what she's making, but she looks like she's working hard!!

 
At 6:28 PM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

Your vacation spot looks fabu! I might have to follow you up there... But what are you doing on vacation looking at blogs? Does that cute little cabin in the woods have wi-fi? :)
To answer your question, 90019 is great, as long as it's not too far from ground zero, which is my house... And it has to be veg-friendly, or my husband has to watch me eat sides and that makes him unhappy.
Have a great rest of your vacation!

 
At 6:24 PM PDT, Blogger Sally said...

absolutely love that D.J. Hall painting, wish I could see more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery