Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Knitting For Years

Downtown Idyllwild, photo from California Weekend Blog
I'm thinking about summertime and remembering Idyllwild. I just have to revisit some more of those camp photos from my younger years. My friend and fellow ISOMATAN, Jonde Northcutt, recently scanned many of her photos from our years in Idyllwild. Those were the days of Brownie Cameras, so we had to wait until we got home to have our photos developed. I usually didn't see my Idyllwild buddies during the school year, so I've never seen Jonde's photos. Everytime we've gotten together since those days, we usually talk about the future, not those ancient times. I suppose, now that we're all hitting those milestone birthdays and pausing to reflect on our past, the memories are all coming to the surface, along with all those old photos.
I've been knitting since I was seven years old. It's part of my DNA. In Idyllwild, the days are warm but the evenings can be cool. It was the years of granny dresses, hippie sandals, ponchos and shawls. I made quite a few shawls to wear in Idyllwild. Jonde has this photo of me wearing one of my red, acrylic creations with a typical red and white checked granny dress. I wish I still had this shawl!

Jane, Jonde and Ellen (Buzz at top)

(Check out Jane's groovy plaid slacks and my shag haircut!)

Another photo from Jonde's archives is a close-up of her actually knitting. Currently, Jonde has forsaken her knitting needles for paint, ink and other artistic pursuits. She said that she just cannot imagine herself making something out of yarn and two sticks! I must get ahold of that girl and re-introduce her to yarn and those sticks!

camp photos from the archives of Jonde Northcutt

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 7:38 AM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

Wow those really are some great photos. I kinda miss the waiting till ou got home to see what your pictures looked like. It was kinda fun opening that little envelope for the first time.

 
At 11:18 AM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

Great photos! It was fun having to wait a little to see how photos turned out way back when! My nephews are growing up with the instant gratification of digital cameras, etc. now and I think are missing out on the anticipation and patience aspect.

 
At 12:24 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,

Your red shawl looks awesome. Do you remember if it was knitted or crocheted? What stitch did you use?

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 12:27 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Judy,

I gave this shawl away about 10 years ago, so I remember it well.
It was knit on size 13 or 15 needles in a version of a drop stitch that looks very much like crocheted hairpin lace. I happen to have a huge stash of red acrylic yarn. I might just whip up another one of these in the near future!

 
At 8:39 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Love the shawl and the dress! So Idyllwyld campfire chic! I love the photos. They are a hoot!

I miss having the photos. Actual photos. Now they are all stored up in the computer :(

 
At 11:02 AM PDT, Blogger Pam said...

LOVE the photos and stories!

 
At 9:39 PM PST, Anonymous tracy eagle said...

You look gorgeous in that red shawl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery