Friday, May 08, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday

Mom @ 20th Century Fox Studios, 1943

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! Taking a cue from the ever-thoughtful Natalie, I'm posting some pix of my glamorous Mom in honor of Mother's Day.
The photo above was taken when she worked at the Studio in the Music Department. Mom had access to all of the photographers, tradespeople, musicians, decorators, wardrobe people, etc. while working there. She had a series of glamour shots taken during World War II, probably to send to my Dad when he was in the service. I asked her how she got her stick-straight hair into such an up-do pompadour. She explained to me that they had "rats" in those days...kind of like a bendable hair roller covered with fuzzy brown fabric so it wouldn't show in your brown hair. She bobby-pinned the rat under her bangs and then fluffed them over the rat. Brilliant! The photographer managed to air-brush out all of her cute freckles!

Ellen, Roz, Ken on the Ferry to Coronado Island, 1956

Above, we're on our way to Coronado Island, off of San Diego. This was before the bridge was built to the Island. It was a real adventure driving onto the ferry for the boat ride. We always got out of the car to stretch our legs. Mom's still looking glamorous, even after having two kids. Love her polka-dot "Lucy" dress and strappy sandals! Poor Dad...he never got in the photo...he was always snapping them!

Ellen and Mom, 2008

Thanks for all the practical things you've taught me over the years, Mom....cooking, knitting, sewing, being an excellent hostess, how to apply make-up and more! You're still glamorous!!! Happy Mother's Day.

More VPF.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 12:12 PM PDT, Blogger Beth said...

What wonderful memories, Sometimes I wish that they would have kept "the rat" around I could sure use one today with the Texas humidity!

Mom is beautiful and I definitely see where you got your good looks!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

 
At 12:34 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Ellen, now I know where you got all your fashion flair and beauty.

Happy Mother's Day, Roz. You raised a great daughter. She's one of the best.

 
At 2:27 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Awww, shucks! Thanks for the compliments, Goils! Mom and I appreciate it!

 
At 4:16 PM PDT, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

they still make and sell rats! i have a few mesh ones from robinson beautilities, but i have actually made my own from the pieces i clipped off a black wig!

 
At 4:16 PM PDT, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

augh! i forgot the whole reason i posted here was that i LOVVVE that picture.

 
At 4:18 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Kendra (aka dizzy von damn)! We miss you at the WeHo SnB!!! Come back for a visit sometime soon!

 
At 5:19 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Awww!!! Natalie totally ripped off what I was going to say!! You and your mom are both incredibly glamorous gals, each in your own way. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:03 PM PDT, Anonymous janel said...

Oh, I love that hairdo! I remember my aunts putting rats in my stick straight hair as a little girl... my teenaged aunts always loved to practice their makeup and beauty secrets on me.

I can see where you get your own sense of style!

 
At 9:51 PM PDT, Anonymous Anne said...

Great photos! I love the polka dot dress.

 
At 10:12 PM PDT, Blogger Psychomom said...

So I usually sit back and enjoy everyone else's comments but todya you both are too beautiful and I so enjoy your posts, photos and creativity.

 
At 5:54 PM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

Ellen, I now see where you get the glamour and beauty from - it runs in your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery