Monday, April 12, 2010

Street

On Saturday night, Christine & Michael, Kiki & Scot descended on our house for drinks and hors d'oeuvres. By the way, thanks for all the goodies....flowers, candy, cocktail napkins!!!
After cocktails, we headed over to
Susan Feniger's Street restaurant on Highland Avenue in Hollywood . We had an 8pm reservation and had to wait a bit to be seated. The place was packed on a Saturday night, the bar was hoppin' and the noise level was high!
Ellen, Michael, Christine

Formerly, this building was a coffee house, performance space called Highland Grounds. I used to frequent HG quite a bit in my old radio and club-hopping days. The interior has changed drastically....for the better! Now, it's a sleek and cool restaurant with high ceilings, a tented patio painted in bright colors.
Kiki, Scott, Larry

While waiting, I ran into a Ravelry friend, Robin and her husband, Larry. You just never know who'll you'll run into when you're on the town!

Robin and Ellen

Christine had eaten at Street previously, so she gave us a few hints as to what she'd liked on the lunch menu. We started out with the Kaya Toast appetizer....delish.
Kaya Toast from Singapore

Sorry for the blurry food photos. I don't like using my flash in restaurants, but you can get the idea. We all ordered different meals. Everything was truly unique and delicious. I'd definitely go back to Street, but NOT on a busy Saturday night! You can read specifics about the menu items on the website.

Andouile Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo
New Jerusalem Bread Salad and Moroccan Spiced Winter Squash w/ Popcorn
Beef Tenderloin Schnitzel
Indonesian Peanut Noodles
Moscow Style Eggplan
Tatsutage Fried Chicken on Soba Noodles w/Sesame Shaved Vegies

Now that I've reached an advanced age, I certainly do appreciate a quiet dining experience. After years and years of standing and dancing next to loud speakers and booming music at nightclubs, I definitely have hearing loss. Larry and I call it "rock 'n roll ears." So, when I'm in a room (like Street) with all hard surfaces, high ceilings and lots of people, it's like being inside a drum. I can't hear a thing. Sigh. My Dad used to say, "youth is wasted on the young." I'm beginning to understand what he was talking about. Double Sigh.
Meet me at Street for the early-bird special on a Tuesday!!! It's great!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 4:42 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we went we sat out on the heated patio - much better on the ears! But there was the moment when a blast of wind came through and nearly took out one of the huge umbrellas!

Carol

 
At 5:06 PM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Sounds like a heavenly meal. I've got to try it!

Highland Grounds...now there's a blast from the past. Jeesh. I'm old.

 
At 8:07 AM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

I wish I could try that restaurant - too far away. But you always have such a good time. I get to experience it vicariously from my desk in the midwest.

 
At 10:32 AM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

I loved Street - we went during Restaurant Week so we could splurge on a bit more food. :) Susan Feniger even came out at the end of the night to say hello to everybody!

 
At 1:53 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Mmmmmmmmmm. Food. I shouldn't be reading this before lunch...

 
At 11:43 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Now I am hungry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery