Monday, September 19, 2011

The Guild

The beautiful Mid-Century Modern Joslyn Center, El Segundo, CA

On Saturday I attended my first official meeting as a member of the El Segundo Slipt Stitchers Knitting Guild . I'd been a guest a few times in past years to this group, but I finally decided to join. The Guild holds fiber information workshops, lectures and more once a month. The meetings are on the third Saturday of the month at the Joslyn Recreation Center in El Segundo, 10 am to 1 pm. I already know many of the members from various other Stitch 'n Bitch groups that I frequent.
There are lots of members.


The meeting room at the Joslyn Center was packed. In another room, across the hall, my friend Brandi was setting up items for a raffle. There were refreshments and coffee. Everyone was chatting, knitting, crocheting and having a good time.

Raffle Items

When the President, Peggy started the meeting, There were reports about the treasury, charity knitting, an upcoming craft fair, Guild elections and other items of interest. There was a show 'n tell portion by a few members. Then, there was a raffle. I didn't win any of the bundles of yarn, magazines or books, but I did score a vintage knit magazine from 1940 that was on the "please take" table.

Guild President, Peggy Baxter

The program for the day is usually someone demonstrating a knitting or crochet technique that others may want to learn or some sort of lecture from an expert. On Saturday, since there are so many approaching fiber seminars (Vogue Knitting Live, Stitches West, Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat), many of the members who had attended past seminars told of their experiences. This was quite useful for members who had never been to one of these organized seminars. Many tips were given on hotels, taking classes and more.

My "new" vintage magazine

It was a very good meeting and I can't wait until the October Guild meet-up!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:18 PM PDT, Anonymous Suze said...

El Segundo! Boy, Ellen, you really get around. I'm impressed. Speaking of impressive . . . are you familiar with this woman's work? It's dazzling!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.136028026486778.30982.135999423156305#!/pages/babukatorium/135999423156305

 
At 7:56 PM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

Looks like an interesting group, Ellen! Might have to see if I can get myself down there some month!

 
At 10:45 PM PDT, Blogger blandina said...

I emailed the Guild to ask if I can come as a guest at the October meeting, I would love to be there and maybe see you again.

 
At 7:23 PM PDT, Blogger Stephknits3 said...

So excited that you joined the Guild! My mom told me you were there..Hopefully I will have a day off on some Saturdays so I can come! Take care... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery