Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Summer Bag

You can always use another handbag!

I'm addicted to crocheting these "Larger Than Life" motifs. I found this bag, designed by Cecily Keim in the latest issue of Interweave Crochet Magazine. I've made lots of them. They're really different than the usual granny square.

For this colorful bag I crocheted the squares out of Cotton Fleece by Brown Sheep, purchased at the Black Sheep Knittery sale. I used a size "G" crochet hook. The inside of the bag is crocheted with Red Heart Yarn in the "Sunshine Print." This yarn is super-sturdy and makes a perfect lining for any bag.
I'm very pleased with this summery bag and am now working on one in Hawaiian Tapa-Print colors of gold, bronze, off-white, brown and black. After crocheting so many of these squares, I've come to the realization that the flower formed by this motif resembles the Hawaiian flower often seen in traditional quilts. Watch for the Aloha handbag, coming soon.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 11:54 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely darling bag, Ellen. Nice work!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 12:32 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have got to get better at crochet so I can make me one of these. You did an awesome job!!

 
At 12:54 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Your bag is gorgeous, of course, but catching up on your last few posts makes me more missing of the weemonkeygurl. Got a little polynesian theme going on, eh?

 
At 1:23 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, I love the motif you used. Any idea where I can get the recipe?

I'm so yarn-challenged at the moment, I can't decide what if anything I want to knit or crochet. But I always found granny squares to be a relaxing activity.

 
At 1:52 PM PDT, Blogger Jenn said...

It looks great! I really like the idea of a crochet lining.

 
At 3:56 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Love your Larger Than Life sunshine bag...but you knew that already, didn't you? It's so happy!

Ooh, an Aloha bag. Maybe we could do a KAL.

 
At 4:33 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

I am amazed at how quicky you crank these gorgeous puppies out! So I hear you're the culprit who snatched all the BSK cotton fleece. Thanks for leaving me my 9 measly skeins.

 
At 4:07 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving me the motivation to step out of my comfort zone and try these squares! Your bag is so beautiful, it's all the inspiration I need.

Also, belated happy birthday wishes!

 
At 1:08 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you crochet the interior? I mean how is it attathed and how do you know how large it should be as oppossed to a fabric liner? GREAT JOB!

 
At 2:22 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hello Anonymous!
This is how I crocheted the lining for the bag:
I crocheted a chain slightly wider than the width of the bag. Then I crocheted sc's around that entire chain and just kept going up in a spiral. I did not join my rows, I didn't increase or decrease. When I had a lining the same size as my squares bag, I dropped it inside and then just single crocheted the two bag together at the top. Simple! I added the pocket later by picking up some stitches from the inner lining and single crocheting a square, then I sewed the sides to the lining.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery